PDA

View Full Version : what does he/she play?

ER
01-07-2009, 08:13 PM
You are faced with (what I consider as) the dreadful question: What does he/she play? To tell or not to tell? Is it a violation of the rules? I never tel!

I never tell!
That's BS I just remembered a case in which I did help! So much for my moral standards!

Kevin Bonham
01-07-2009, 08:16 PM
You are faced with (what I consider as) the dreadful question: What does he/she play? To tell or not to tell? Is it a violation of the rules?
I never tell!

It's perfectly acceptable for players to exchange information about what other players play before (not during) a game. I often do this, as a player, and expect others to do it concerning me as well. If you don't want it to be known what you play then mix up your repertoire.

It is not a violation of the rules because it is only an offence to make use of information or advice during play. Before play is fine.

ER
01-07-2009, 08:27 PM
I was thinking from a moral point of view, like in A vs B, B asks me for info about A. Giving the info to B he is automatically gaining an advantage over A, since A might know nothing about B.
In the previous I have lied, thinking about it now I have actually helped once. Hold on I better go and correct the post!

Kevin Bonham
01-07-2009, 08:50 PM
I was thinking from a moral point of view, like in A vs B, B asks me for info about A. Giving the info to B he is automatically gaining an advantage over A, since A might know nothing about B.

So? When we give a player coaching we help them to gain an advantage over their opponents. If A wants to know about what B plays then A can ask around (or look in databases) as well.

The sociology of it can be interesting; for instance, often players will tell their clubmates what an opponent plays, but won't rat on a clubmate's repertoire to players from outside that club. I think many players are a good judge of who to ask since while I can remember thinking that I wouldn't tell a certain player what a certain other player plays (in various situations), I can't remember a case where anyone has actually asked me where I've felt like I should refuse.

Denis_Jessop
01-07-2009, 09:19 PM
In the previous I have lied, thinking about it now I have actually helped once. Hold on I better go and correct the post!

I don't see this as a moral issue as the practice is wide spread and generally accepted and no secrets are being given away. You don't have to ask that question regarding the better known players as their games are on the public record. What's more what detrimental effect can it have? If I play the Sicilian I should be prepared to meet the best moves from any opponent. I think that the value of "preparation" at levels lower than master strength is vastly over-rated. As Kevin says, the tactic can be met by having several openings. Another method used at the highest level is to prepare innovations in your known openings to catch the opponent by surprise.

DJ