PDA

View Full Version : Elwood Bendigo Bank championship cancelled

Igor_Goldenberg
01-07-2009, 11:58 AM
Elwood Bendigo Bank decided not to provide sponsorship this year.
Best wishes to Melbourne Chess Club in organising CUP Weekender this year. I urge everyone who considered playing in Elwood championship to support MCC CUP Weekender.

Garrett
01-07-2009, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the notification Igor. Bad luck about the sponsorship.

Hope MCC are still keen to put on an event as at least one chess mate and I are seriously considering coming down.

cheers
Garrett.

Igor_Goldenberg
01-07-2009, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the notification Igor. Bad luck about the sponsorship.

Hope MCC are still keen to put on an event as at least one chess mate and I are seriously considering coming down.

cheers
Garrett.
If you or anyone else considered coming to Melbourne that weekend, MCC CUP weekender is as good reason to come.

Saragossa
01-07-2009, 03:56 PM
Oh man devo. Thanks for the info Igor. I'll have to jump up to melbourne sooner or later to play in a tourney everyone is Taz has worked out how to beat me :P

Carl Gorka
01-07-2009, 10:50 PM
Firstly, sorry to Igor who has tried his utmost to get things going this year. Hopefully Elwood will come back in future years to provide a great event for Victorian chess.

Secondly, the MCC will hold an event over the Cup Weekend this year, though we are not committing ourselves to the long term future of the Victorian long weekend tournament.

The details will be updated on this thread ---> http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=10200

Fenguin
01-07-2009, 11:41 PM
thx for the notification... just a question.. I've NEVER ever been to Melbourne Chess Club as it's on the other side of town, can you give me an idea of the exact location.. I'll have to see if I can actually get there properly before I'm going to play!

MichaelBaron
02-07-2009, 01:09 AM
thx for the notification... just a question.. I've NEVER ever been to Melbourne Chess Club as it's on the other side of town, can you give me an idea of the exact location.. I'll have to see if I can actually get there properly before I'm going to play!

66 Lecester st, Fitzroy North - and its easy to get their by public transport since its close to Brunswick st.

Basil
02-07-2009, 10:13 AM
66 Lecester st, Fitzroy North - and its easy to get their by public transport since its close to Brunswick st.
Leicester St. I offer the corrected spelling purely for the sake of ease of looking up; not to be pedantic.

Lakshman
02-07-2009, 10:56 AM
Leicester St. I offer the corrected spelling purely for the sake of ease of looking up; not to be pedantic.

Very true GD, even a alphabet missing or spelt wrong in the address could keep you glued to the Melway for ever.:rolleyes:

Igor_Goldenberg
06-07-2009, 10:01 AM
City of Port Phillip was kind in offering Port Melbourne town hall (excellent venue IMHO). Without sponsorship, however, it's a moot point.
Time and family circumstances permitting I'll try to play in CUP weekender (I have fond memory of winning 1994 ahead of Gluzman, Depasquale and Baron). However, I cannot commit at this point.

Trent Parker
08-07-2009, 05:15 PM
Bugger! no nigel short then either.....

Rincewind
08-07-2009, 05:18 PM

Dare I say, Short, to the tune of one.

ER
08-07-2009, 05:20 PM
He didn't mean you!

kjenhager
08-07-2009, 05:30 PM
Dare I say, Short, to the tune of one.
how does "one" go ? ;)

Basil
08-07-2009, 05:34 PM
So, no Short-Wang match-up?

Rincewind
08-07-2009, 05:37 PM
how does "one" go ? ;)

Depends on whether you mean the U2 one or the Metallica one. Apart from those reasonable songs Harry Nillson had one which John Farnham (Farnsey) covered atrociously and infamously. :D

Garrett
08-07-2009, 07:11 PM
So, no Short-Wang match-up?

No, unfortunately no chance of a Short-Wang duel !