PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne Chess Club CUP WEEKENDER

Pages : [1] 2

Grant Szuveges
11-06-2009, 01:27 AM
I would like to announce some details of the Melbourne Chess Club Cup Weekend tournament for October/November 2009! As follows are the basic details of the event, which will be a 9 round Swiss with a similar format to that of the Doeberl Cup. The event will be FIDE rated with norm opportunities.

GM David Smerdon will be participating in the event and we will be starting a list of participants asap. Pamphlets and extra details will be released very soon.

MELBOURNE CHESS CLUB

CUP WEEKEND TOURNAMENT

WHEN? October 30th – November 3rd

WHERE? Melbourne Chess Club, 66 Leicester St. Fitzroy, 3065 Telephone. 9416-3149

FORMAT? 9 round Swiss, FIDE rated, with norm opportunities.

TIME CONTROLS? Ninety minutes + 30 seconds per move from move 1. Players are required to record all moves.

SCHEDULE?

Friday 30th October: Round 1, 7pm

Saturday 31st October: Round 2, 1pm
Round 3, 7pm

Sunday 1st November: Round 4, 1pm
Round 5, 7pm

Monday 2nd November: Round 6, 10am
Round 7, 3pm

Tuesday 3rd November: Round 8, 10am
Round 9, 3pm

PRIZES? Awaiting confirmation of sponsorship. However the prize fund based on 50 entries without sponsorship would be approximately as follows:
1st: $1500
2nd: $750
3rd: $500
4th: $250
Rating prizes: totalling $500

ENTRY FEES? GM, IM, WGM, WIM: free entry
Adults: $85 Under 18 years of age: $70

ENQUIRES? Carl Gorka 0406-021-559 or Grant Szuveges 0401-925-075

Garrett
11-06-2009, 09:29 AM
is this the Elwood-Bendigo tournament with Nigel Short or a different one ?

cheers
Garrett.

Ninja
11-06-2009, 10:16 AM
SCHEDULE?
Friday 30th October: Round 1, 7pm
Saturday 31st October: Round 2, 1pm
Round 3, 7pm
Sunday 1st November: Round 4, 1pm
Round 5, 7pm
Monday 2nd November: Round 6, 10am
Round 7, 3pm
Tuesday 3rd November: Round 8, 10am
Round 9, 3pm

Interesting schedule. Would have thought that the 7pm rounds would have discouraged quite a few of the normal junior brigade??

MichaelBaron
11-06-2009, 10:37 AM

cheers
Garrett.

This is Melbourne Chess Club Cup Weekender! Also, Some overseas GMs (including one rated higher than Short) may be joining David on the grandmaster participant list.

MichaelBaron
11-06-2009, 10:39 AM
Interesting schedule. Would have thought that the 7pm rounds would have discouraged quite a few of the normal junior brigade??

Interesting Point. However, there are several clubs (e.g. Canterbury) where play starts at 7.30 pm or even 8 pm - and its no obstacle to junior participation.

Garrett
11-06-2009, 10:57 AM
This is Melbourne Chess Club Cup Weekender! Also, Some overseas GMs (including one rated higher than Short) may be joining David on the grandmaster participant list.

ok thanks Michael

Just out of interest, do you know if there is a minimum rating requirement for this one ?

cheers
Garrett.

MichaelBaron
11-06-2009, 11:25 AM
ok thanks Michael

Just out of interest, do you know if there is a minimum rating requirement for this one ?

cheers
Garrett.

As far as I know there is going to be no minimum rating requirement.

Watto
11-06-2009, 11:27 AM

cheers
Garrett.
Puzzling isn't it. Whilst it will be great to see the MCC hold a tournament like this, it is a bit strange that it’s clashing directly with the Elwood Bendigo tournament; a Class 5 GP event.

So, is the Elwood weekender definitely still going ahead?
Is this MCC weekender going to be part of the GP?

Miranda
11-06-2009, 11:45 AM
Some overseas GMs (including one rated higher than Short) may be joining David on the grandmaster participant list.
Any clues who?

I agree, it seems a bit odd to schedule these two events on the same day, in the same city....

Davidflude
11-06-2009, 12:13 PM
Elwood have run a very successful weekender on Cup Weekend for some years. I think that is not a good idea to run a competing tournament at the Melbourne Chess Club the same weekend.

Elwood baggsed this weekend first. In my opinion this behavour by the Melbourne Chess Club sucks.

NRMASIFD&GKFKBBK
11-06-2009, 01:20 PM
Elwood have run a very successful weekender on Cup Weekend for some years. I think that is not a good idea to run a competing tournament at the Melbourne Chess Club the same weekend.

Elwood baggsed this weekend first. In my opinion this behavour by the Melbourne Chess Club sucks.

Actually, a few things about David's comments are not quite correct.

Firstly, the Elwood Championships has only been going on since 2005. This is noted in the first post in the thread below which was posted by Malcolm Pyke:

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=3121

Secondly, prior to this the establishment of the Elwood Championship, Melbourne had its own weekender over the Melbourne Cup long weekend, the last edition of which was in 2004:

http://www.chesschat.org//showthread.php?t=1442

AS MCC News noted in the first thread, Elwood Chess Club, through the tireless agency of Barbaros Kara (who incidentally was also a MCC member), established its event with the knowledge and encouragement of the MCC administration at the time - the MCC acted by withdrawing its own weekender that it had scheduled in its calender for that weekend. And indeed the event has proven to be very successful under the stewardship of Barbaros and Igor Goldenberg.

MCC News won't speak for the current administration but it is somewhat unusual that the MCC schedule an event that overlaps with the Elwood event. Perhaps this says something about the current ambition of the MCC.

Or perhaps, conversely, it says something about the inactivity of the Elwood Chess Club (a few years back, it was running rated tournaments on Saturdays and had promising juniors like Jesse Jager, James Morris and Alex Buda playing - now it seems to be to have been well and truly superseded for Saturday chess activity by both Noble Park CC and MCC).

Or perhaps all of this conflict in scheduling was simply an oversight on the part of the MCC.

MCC News is not sure about whether the current MCC administration tried to contact Elwood CC, but maybe they couldn't because of the latter's inactivity. In any case, MCC News hopes that the MCC administration will directly contact the Elwood Championship organisers (Barbaros or Igor Goldenberg) to clarify the scheduling of the events.

Garrett
11-06-2009, 01:28 PM
If MCC News is not part of the current administration, nor speaks for them, do you think it would be a good idea to change your handle ?

It seems a little misleading...

cheers
Garrett.

NRMASIFD&GKFKBBK
11-06-2009, 01:33 PM
If MCC News is not part of the current administration, nor speaks for them, do you think it would be a good idea to change your handle ?

It seems a little misleading...

cheers
Garrett.

Don't know how to do this. Any instruction would be appreciated.

MichaelBaron
11-06-2009, 01:54 PM
First of all i would like to emphasize that the following posting is my personal rather than "From MCC with love". Therefore, it expresses my own viewpoints only, not the viewpoints of MCC committee of which i am not a a Member (I am a member of the club though)

1) MCC is a club that is entitled to run its events as it pleases (similarly to any other club). Chess Victoria (aka Canterbury CC) runs Interclub on Saturdays consequently excluding Noble Park CC from its team competition. Is it a Clash? Yes.
2) I may be ill-informed but all I heard from the Elwood Bendigo organisers is: There is a big tournament and Nigel Short is coming. There have been no further communications from them. No tournament schedule etc.
3) I feel (again i may be wrong, this is just a feeling - please correct me if i am wrong) that one of the reasons that MCC decided to run this event is lack of confidence that Elwood Bendigo will go ahead as planned.

Once again, these are my personal views...not view of MCC committee!

I am looking forward to the event! I feel that it is just a start. There are many more exiting events to come at MCC. Right now it appears to be Victoria's fastest growing chess club! :clap:

Kevin Bonham
11-06-2009, 01:54 PM
Don't know how to do this. Any instruction would be appreciated.

Send a private message with your requested new username to Bill Gletsos or Rincewind (or me if you're quick about it - I will only be offline from late tomorrow night for a while) or post your request in the thread here:

http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=5089&highlight=handle

I agree it is a very good idea to change it in the circumstances.

NRMASIFD&GKFKBBK
11-06-2009, 02:05 PM
Thanks - PM sent to KB.

Kevin Bonham
11-06-2009, 02:12 PM
Change was made - hope you can remember how to spell it! :D

pappubahry
11-06-2009, 02:13 PM
Change was made - hope you can remember how to spell it! :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Davidflude
11-06-2009, 03:00 PM
I spoke to Grant a few moments ago. He will make a posting after he checks various points. This hopefully will clarify the situation.

Clearly a big tournament at Cup weekend is what we want in Melbourne. So far I have not been able to get a definite answer as to whether Elwood are holding a tournament.

A few points that Melbourne might like to consider.

The first round on the Friday night conflicts with the last round of the Box Hill Open. Maybe you should allow half point yes for Friday nights.

Also half point byes for Monday nights.

Garrett
11-06-2009, 03:04 PM

Do you mean Monday day for people who work ?

cheers
Garrett.

mikesguns
11-06-2009, 04:01 PM
Would there we many entrants under 1300 in the tournament and is there any good rating prize for the same or close to that group like the VIc Open

ER
11-06-2009, 05:09 PM
It is a common knowledge that "there is movement in the station" as far as Chess in Victoria is concerned!:clap: :clap: :clap:
Clashes of events will inadvertently occur! Take it all in good humour and enjoy your Chess! Having said that I am out here and back to work!

MichaelBaron
11-06-2009, 06:48 PM
I
The first round on the Friday night conflicts with the last round of the Box Hill Open. Maybe you should allow half point yes for Friday nights.

David, so when interclub was scheduled to run on Saturdays was Noble Park considered? Friday game is Rd1 so surely 0.5 byes will be available

Carl Gorka
11-06-2009, 09:01 PM
Actually, a few things about David's comments are not quite correct.

Firstly, the Elwood Championships has only been going on since 2005. This is noted in the first post in the thread below which was posted by Malcolm Pyke:

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=3121

Secondly, prior to this the establishment of the Elwood Championship, Melbourne had its own weekender over the Melbourne Cup long weekend, the last edition of which was in 2004:

http://www.chesschat.org//showthread.php?t=1442

AS MCC News noted in the first thread, Elwood Chess Club, through the tireless agency of Barbaros Kara (who incidentally was also a MCC member), established its event with the knowledge and encouragement of the MCC administration at the time - the MCC acted by withdrawing its own weekender that it had scheduled in its calender for that weekend. And indeed the event has proven to be very successful under the stewardship of Barbaros and Igor Goldenberg.

All this has been true. Unfortunately, the stewardship of Barbaros is at an end because of real life issues, namely family and work duties. This means that Elwood and Victoria have lost an energetic and forward thinking organiser. It also puts the whole onus on organising the tournament solely on the shoulders of IM Igor Goldenberg. While Igor has proved capable of this responsibility in the past, it is a tall order for anyone to organise a tournament of this magnitude alone.

MCC News won't speak for the current administration but it is somewhat unusual that the MCC schedule an event that overlaps with the Elwood event. Perhaps this says something about the current ambition of the MCC.

At the present there is no Elwood Weekender organised. There is a slot on the GP calendar allocated for this event, but no venue has been arranged, and no information has been put out to the chess public. The 'ambition' of the current MCC committee involves making the MCC a pleasant playing venue, and reinvigorating the club with new 'club' events for its growing membership. A weekender over the Cup weekend was not part of our agenda, until we became aware that the excellent long weekend slot unique to Melbourne may have no tournament at all.

Or perhaps, conversely, it says something about the inactivity of the Elwood Chess Club (a few years back, it was running rated tournaments on Saturdays and had promising juniors like Jesse Jager, James Morris and Alex Buda playing - now it seems to be to have been well and truly superseded for Saturday chess activity by both Noble Park CC and MCC).

I can't comment on this, having not been around Elwood Chess Club for quite some time. I would hope that any troubles they are having are a temporary thing and that Elwood CC becomes an active, friendly playing environment again.

Or perhaps all of this conflict in scheduling was simply an oversight on the part of the MCC.

Not at all.

MCC News is not sure about whether the current MCC administration tried to contact Elwood CC, but maybe they couldn't because of the latter's inactivity. In any case, MCC News hopes that the MCC administration will directly contact the Elwood Championship organisers (Barbaros or Igor Goldenberg) to clarify the scheduling of the events.

The current MCC administration have been in contact with IM Igor Goldenberg, and CV Vice President IM Leonid Sandler concerning this event. We have offered both help to the Elwood organisers, and in the case that Elwood cannot secure a venue, we have offered to take it on ourselves. Igor is still seeking a venue, but it is late in the day. For anyone to organise a decent tournament in November, things have to be started now, and even then it is late in the day. So as we have a venue, and a prize fund we have announced our event. This will certainly come as no surprise to CV, nor the Elwood organisers, and perhaps in the future, a partnership can be arranged between Elwood and MCC to alternate venues and to join their experience together to make a truly great Cup Weekender.

Carl Gorka
11-06-2009, 09:05 PM

What truly sucks is that the Elwood tournament last year was played in Canterbury. I have great respect for the BHCC organisers, but by taking yet another tournament to their venue they may have jeopardised the future sponsorship of the Elwood weekender.

Carl Gorka
11-06-2009, 09:10 PM
I spoke to Grant a few moments ago. He will make a posting after he checks various points. This hopefully will clarify the situation.

Clearly a big tournament at Cup weekend is what we want in Melbourne. So far I have not been able to get a definite answer as to whether Elwood are holding a tournament.

A few points that Melbourne might like to consider.

Of course, half point byes will be allowed, probably in rounds 1-7 although it has not been decided how many byes will be allowed per player.

Grant Szuveges
11-06-2009, 09:35 PM
Id like to add to Fireeaters 3 posts with some extra info:

1. We expect that the event will be a GP catogory 5, although we havent spoken to Brian Jones yet.

2. Yes, half point byes will be allowed, and we expect that quite a few players would take them on the Friday night and Monday in particular. I will use this opportunity to apologise to Box Hill Chess Club about the clash with the final round of their event. We had no idea that there would be a clash, but it wont be a problem due to the half point bye option. This clash was certainly not deliberate.

3. GM Gawain Jones has said that he also will play. We now have 2 GMs playing.

NRMASIFD&GKFKBBK
11-06-2009, 10:08 PM
Carl - Thank you for your response. I (and I am sure all chesschat readers) have no reason to not take what you and Grant have said at face value. Thank you for clarifying many of the concerns expressed in this thread.

I only made my initial post because of David's post which insinuated that the MCC was undermining the Elwood Championship. This did not accord with my understanding of the events, particularly the initial gestation of the Elwood Championships, which had the support of the MCC back in 2005. Indeed, I should note that Barbaros is on friendly terms with many prominent MCC figures such as Malcolm Pyke and Greg Gatto and I agree that his withdrawal from the chess scene is sadly missed (all the best to the fellow, as I know his son will soon be reaching school age and his business develops).

From what you have told us, insinuation of undermining from the current MCC could not be further from the truth, as (1) it is unclear whether the Elwood Championships will occur and (2) the MCC have already spoken to the appropriate people in regards in running a tournament at the same time as, or in the stead of, the Elwood Championship.

As for my remarks about the "MCC's ambitions", this was not intended as denigration, but rather something that the MCC should have - as long as it treats other chess entities with respect and works to further the cause of chess overall. As Michael noted, the club is well entitled to scheduled its event and I support its decision to do so, now that more of the facts have been given.

It is agreed that the main thing, from a chess-community perspective, is that there is a weekender over the Melbourne Cup Weekend. Whether it is run by Elwood CC, the MCC or another club should be secondary in the grand scheme of things.

However, it is hoped that what was some of the things to look forward to in the prospective 2009 Elwood Championships (such as the participation of GM Nigel Short, along with other GMs, and a good rate of participation with a sponsored prize pool) come to pass in a weekender over the Melbourne Cup weekend.

Again, thank you Carl for the clarifications - the current MCC administration promised transparency for its decisions and action. The responses from you and Grant abide by this promise.

Bill Gletsos
11-06-2009, 10:26 PM
We expect that the event will be a GP catogory 5, although we havent spoken to Brian Jones yet.You will need to add $1000 to the open prizes to bolster them to $4000 as rating prizes do not count towards the GP class.

Watto
11-06-2009, 10:28 PM
Thanks Carl and Grant for the clarification. Much appreciated.

Carl Gorka
11-06-2009, 10:32 PM
Carl - Thank you for your response. I (and I am sure all chesschat readers) have no reason to not take what you and Grant have said at face value. Thank you for clarifying many of the concerns expressed in this thread.

I only made my initial post because of David's post which insinuated that the MCC was undermining the Elwood Championship. This did not accord with my understanding of the events, particularly the initial gestation of the Elwood Championships, which had the support of the MCC back in 2005. Indeed, I should note that Barbaros is on friendly terms with many prominent MCC figures such as Malcolm Pyke and Greg Gatto and I agree that his withdrawal from the chess scene is sadly missed (all the best to the fellow, as I know his son will soon be reaching school age and his business develops).

From what you have told us, insinuation of undermining from the current MCC could not be further from the truth, as (1) it is unclear whether the Elwood Championships will occur and (2) the MCC have already spoken to the appropriate people in regards in running a tournament at the same time as, or in the stead of, the Elwood Championship.

As for my remarks about the "MCC's ambitions", this was not intended as denigration, but rather something that the MCC should have - as long as it treats other chess entities with respect and works to further the cause of chess overall. As Michael noted, the club is well entitled to scheduled its event and I support its decision to do so, now that more of the facts have been given.

It is agreed that the main thing, from a chess-community perspective, is that there is a weekender over the Melbourne Cup Weekend. Whether it is run by Elwood CC, the MCC or another club should be secondary in the grand scheme of things.

However, it is hoped that what was some of the things to look forward to in the prospective 2009 Elwood Championships (such as the participation of GM Nigel Short, along with other GMs, and a good rate of participation with a sponsored prize pool) come to pass in a weekender over the Melbourne Cup weekend.

Again, thank you Carl for the clarifications - the current MCC administration promised transparency for its decisions and action. The responses from you and Grant abide by this promise.

Look, no worries about any posts, we're happy to be transparent as we have really nothing to hide:D

Along with all the other efforts that we're undertaking at the club, the Cup Weekend event was certainly not in our plans. It was due to greater liaison between the MCC committee and other chess bodies throughtout Victoria which led us to find out about the problems currently being faced by Igor Goldenberg. So as you have posted we don't seek to undermine or replace anything, but rather just to organise a tournament. We are not making a commitment to the long term organisation of this time slot, and should Elwood or another club come forward with a great proposal for 2010, then we would, of course, look at doing what was best for the interests of chess in Victoria, as our predecessors on the committee did before us.

As for the 2009 event, I would doubt that we will have Nigel Short playing, but with 2 GM's already on the list, things don't look too bad. And hopefully, the 9 rounds with their norm possibility (however remote) will attract some other strong players from within Victoria, interstate, and possibly from overseas:)

Carl Gorka
11-06-2009, 10:37 PM
You will need to add $1000 to the open prizes to bolster them to $4000 as rating prizes do not count towards the GP class.

Thanks for that, we have only just decided upon this, and are trying to do many things at once, including securing sponsorship which will bring the prize pool up.

We will be contacting Brian soon about this event, and investigating GP requirements so as to properly categorise it.

Bill Gletsos
11-06-2009, 10:47 PM
The following is from the rules section of the GP website.

Tournament Classes

2.1 There are five classes of tournament. Eligibility is determined by the cash value of the guaranteed main prizes offered in the Open section. (Rating prizes, non-cash prizes and sections other than Opens do not count and are not included in the eligibility calculation).
Event classes will be determined by the table below. Non-cash prizes will be excluded from the total cashpool.

Class Tournament Eligiblity Grand Prix Entry Fee
1 $0000 - $0999 $0
2 $1000 - $1999 $100
3 $2000 - $2999 $200
4 $3000 - $3999 $300
5 $4000 - $10000 $400

Davidflude
13-06-2009, 12:39 PM
I apologize for any insinuations about the Melbourne Chess Club. I should have telephoned Grant first. I had a cold at the time and was feeling like a bear with a sore head. (Some luckless junior discovered on Friday night that I play better when I am in a grumpy mood.)

Hopefully you will soon have confirmation that the Elwood Tournament has definitely been aborted. This should enable you to then tear into the organization.

Remember also to get permission from the Chess Victoria people so that i can send out a bulletin to all on their mailing list that The Elwood tournament is off and the Melbourne Chess club tournament is on.

Davidflude
13-06-2009, 12:59 PM
David, so when interclub was scheduled to run on Saturdays was Noble Park considered?

Michael,

Inter club is run by Chess Victoria. I had absolutely no input to the process of determining when and how the inter club would be run.

Over a long period of time Inter club has been run in all manner of formats. Personally I like the approach where it is played like a football draw with home and away matches played on the home teams playing day. If people wish to discuss this it should be set up as a separate thread.

Best wishes,

David

Metro
13-06-2009, 06:24 PM
I would like to announce some details of the Melbourne Chess Club Cup Weekend tournament for October/November 2009!

How about a new thread title,"MCC MELBOURNE CUP Weekender"?

MichaelBaron
13-06-2009, 11:33 PM
Michael,

Inter club is run by Chess Victoria. I had absolutely no input to the process of determining when and how the inter club would be run.

Over a long period of time Inter club has been run in all manner of formats. Personally I like the approach where it is played like a football draw with home and away matches played on the home teams playing day. If people wish to discuss this it should be set up as a separate thread.

Best wishes,

David

Yes, home and away is better. Thats how its done in other countries.

I was not discussing it, i was making a comparison :)

Grant Szuveges
14-06-2009, 12:09 AM
I apologize for any insinuations about the Melbourne Chess Club. I should have telephoned Grant first. I had a cold at the time and was feeling like a bear with a sore head. (Some luckless junior discovered on Friday night that I play better when I am in a grumpy mood.)
No problem David, no offence taken. (good to see that you beat up the junior too - sorry junior)

Grant Szuveges
14-06-2009, 12:13 AM
How about a new thread title,"MCC MELBOURNE CUP Weekender"?

Thats hardly any different from the title of this thread - or have I missed something?

Metro
14-06-2009, 01:22 AM
Thats hardly any different from the title of this thread - or have I missed something?
It's up to you,it's a suggestion.Good luck in Weekender:D

mikesguns
19-06-2009, 02:24 PM
Im not up to speed with what is going on. So is this is the Elwood or is this another tournament that is overlapping with it.

MichaelBaron
19-06-2009, 02:46 PM
Im not up to speed with what is going on. So is this is the Elwood or is this another tournament that is overlapping with it.
Elwood tournament is not going to take place this year, therefore - there is no overlapping!

Publicist
19-06-2009, 05:19 PM
Elwood tournament is not going to take place this year, therefore - there is no overlapping!
Is this from a spokesman for Elwood? or from a spokesman for the MCC committee? or from both?

MichaelBaron
19-06-2009, 05:29 PM
Is this from a spokesman for Elwood? or from a spokesman for the MCC committee? or from both?

This is from me on behalf of me...but I am pretty sure this is the case!

Publicist
19-06-2009, 05:39 PM
This is from me on behalf of me...but I am pretty sure this is the case!
It might be worthwhile to leave the announcing to the people involved and concentrate on updating your blog. It is 2 years out of date

MichaelBaron
19-06-2009, 07:00 PM
It might be worthwhile to leave the announcing to the people involved and concentrate on updating your blog. It is 2 years out of date

It might be worthwile you minding your own business and concentrating on your affairs rather than advising others what is out of date and what is not. I am entitled to make whatever announcements I feel like whenever i feel like without asking your permission to do so.

And save your rude patronising tone for your family, cats and dogs, thank you.

Garrett
19-06-2009, 07:08 PM
:clap: :clap:

MichaelBaron
19-06-2009, 07:14 PM
:clap: :clap:

Actually I agree, its a shame I had to abandone my chess blog due to the lack of time to develop it further :(. Its just that I was not quite sure what my blog got to do with Melbourne Cup Weekeneder that myself and other MCC members are trying to promote! And yes, it will be a great event to participate in!

mikesguns
19-06-2009, 11:44 PM
What would be the rating group prize for each rating group, and how many would there be? Also, based on usual entries would a 1200 be in the last rating group?
Thank you
Sorry for the series or questions

Desmond
20-06-2009, 07:21 AM
Actually I agree, its a shame I had to abandone my chess blog due to the lack of time to develop it further :(. Its just that I was not quite sure what my blog got to do with Melbourne Cup Weekeneder that myself and other MCC members are trying to promote! And yes, it will be a great event to participate in!The link to your blog is in your signature.

MichaelBaron
20-06-2009, 08:10 AM
The link to your blog is in your signature.

Well, the games I published there are still relevant :) rules of chess have not changed recently :)

Garvinator
20-06-2009, 11:09 AM
rules of chess have not changed recently :)
As of July 1 that won't be true ;)

MichaelBaron
20-06-2009, 11:17 AM
As of July 1 that won't be true ;)

LOL.

ER
20-06-2009, 05:03 PM
I bet that by July, Michael's blog would be updated! :clap: He can prepare players for the tournament with a special "what to play against X player" thread, with only a small fee! :P

Carl Gorka
21-06-2009, 09:49 PM
A few days ago I was contacted by Igor Goldenberg who said that there is a good likelihood that a venue will be found by the Elwood organizers. We at the Melbourne Chess Club only want to see an event happen over that weekend and in the case of Elwood being able to organize the event, we would step aside and let them do that.

In the time since we decided to organize the tournament in the absence of any details from Elwood, we have secured the participation of 2 GM’s who we would hope could equally play an Elwood weekender as an MCC weekender. We also have a number of sponsorship deals being negotiated, but nothing is definite yet and there is the possibility that any agreed sponsorship could be redirected to another tournament. We also have been in contact with some overseas players who would be interested in coming over for a 9-round FIDE rated tournament. Unfortunately, these will be lost assuming the Elwood organizers decide to run their tournament as a 7 rounder.

The MCC committee next meets on July 8th and then we will have to make a decision about our event. If the Elwood organizers have announced details of their event, we will reschedule our event. However, if no announcements have been made, then we will have a tough decision to make.

Good luck to Igor, and any assistance we can give, we will.

Publicist
22-06-2009, 12:04 AM
It might be worthwile you minding your own business and concentrating on your affairs rather than advising others what is out of date and what is not. I am entitled to make whatever announcements I feel like whenever i feel like without asking your permission to do so.

And save your rude patronising tone for your family, cats and dogs, thank you.
I think I have just been savaged by a sheep
Rude surely not
Patronising possibly
Mr Baron I have not suggested anywhere that you need MY perrmission for any of your pronouncements

Davidflude
22-06-2009, 10:46 AM
Both DGT and Monroi equipment is being used in the zonal. Is this the property of ACF? If so will it be made available for the Melbourne Cup weekender wherever it is held?

Come on Victorians. We do not have to be ripped off like with Australian cricket team selections or Opera funding.

ER
22-06-2009, 12:46 PM
Hi David
If you please make a note to send bulletins etc in my new e-mail address (the one I have already sent you)?
Cheers and thanks!

Garrett
02-07-2009, 08:43 AM
With Elwood-Bendigo not on now is this tournament definitely going ahead ?

If so, is it an 'open' or is a certain minimum rating necessary to play ?

Also, from looking at flight details is either Tullamarine or Avalon airport a heap closer to Fitzroy ? (yes - I could probably research this on the web but someone here would probably know off the top of their head !!)

cheers
Garrett.

Carl Gorka
02-07-2009, 09:37 AM
With Elwood-Bendigo not on now is this tournament definitely going ahead ?

If so, is it an 'open' or is a certain minimum rating necessary to play ?

Also, from looking at flight details is either Tullamarine or Avalon airport a heap closer to Fitzroy ? (yes - I could probably research this on the web but someone here would probably know off the top of their head !!)

cheers
Garrett.

We had our tournament on "hold" to give Elwood mor time to try to sort things out, so we don't have all the details yet. Hopefully all will be sorted by mid next week at the latest.

I 'believe' it will be an open tournament, but this will be fully confirmed soon.

Tullamarine is definitely closer to the MCC, Avalon is close to Geelong.

Thanks

Carl

Garrett
02-07-2009, 10:40 AM
great thanks Carl

Info in the next week or two will be in heaps of time.

cheers
Garrett.

Brian_Jones
06-07-2009, 02:42 PM
Following a phone call from Grant Szuveges, the 2009 Melbourne Cup Weekender has now been entered in the 2009 Yulgilbar-Think Big Grand Prix, replacing the Elwood event which has been cancelled.

At this stage the Melbourne Cup Weekender is in the GP calendar as a Class 5 event and the organisers are hopeful that it will obtain sufficient sponsorship to meet the minimum prizefund of $4,000 required for GP Class 5.

However, if the sponsorship is not forthcoming, the event may be reduced to Class 4, for which the minimum prizefund of $3,000 has already been announced - see post #1.

Good luck to the Melbourne Chess Club organising committee which meets this week! :)

Carl Gorka
07-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Following a phone call from Grant Szuveges, the 2009 Melbourne Cup Weekender has now been entered in the 2009 Yulgilbar-Think Big Grand Prix, replacing the Elwood event which has been cancelled.

At this stage the Melbourne Cup Weekender is in the GP calendar as a Class 5 event and the organisers are hopeful that it will obtain sufficient sponsorship to meet the minimum prizefund of $4,000 required for GP Class 5.

However, if the sponsorship is not forthcoming, the event may be reduced to Class 4, for which the minimum prizefund of $3,000 has already been announced - see post #1.

Good luck to the Melbourne Chess Club organising committee which meets this week! :)

Thanks Brian:clap:

Garrett
13-07-2009, 07:11 AM
any more news on this tournament ?

I've had some holidays approved and looking forward to the possibility of playing this one.

Also, just scouting out some accommodation options, it looks like Fitzroy is pretty close to Melbourne CBD. Is this correct ?

cheers
Garrett.

ER
13-07-2009, 10:37 AM
Also, just scouting out some accommodation options, it looks like Fitzroy is pretty close to Melbourne CBD. Is this correct ?

Yes Garrett it's walking distance, or a 10-15 minute tram ride (depends on which part of the SBD you want to go)! :)

Tony Dowden
23-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Now that we've gone through the shake-down of no Elwood event this year, could someone (preferably a tournament organiser)please confirm that this event still will be a 9 round FIDE-rated run over five consecutive days according to the timetable posted by Grant Szuveges at the begining of this thread? (The link on the Grand Prix calendar simply refers one to this thread).

Thanks! :P

Grant Szuveges
23-07-2009, 01:13 PM
TonyD

Yes, the tournament is still going ahead as a 9 rounder, to the exact timetable mentioned earlier. We should have some nice brochures out about it very soon. For any questions or further enquires, please contact me on 0401-925-075 or Carl Gorka on 0406-021-559.

Grant

Tony Dowden
23-07-2009, 07:21 PM
TonyD

Yes, the tournament is still going ahead as a 9 rounder, to the exact timetable mentioned earlier. We should have some nice brochures out about it very soon. For any questions or further enquires, please contact me on 0401-925-075 or Carl Gorka on 0406-021-559.

Grant

Many thanks Grant (wow, that was quick!)

My wife has given me the thumbs up :) and, assuming I can get a couple of some days off work, I'm keen to play.

I'm FIDE 2145 and still play under the NZD flag, so this might be useful if you need foreigners for norm-hunting purposes.

Cheers, Tony (Dowden)

Garrett
24-07-2009, 09:02 AM
I've had some holidays approved.

Has the tournament been confirmed as 'open' i.e. anyone can play ?

Also, does anyone with local knowledge have any good suggestion for accommodation ?

cheers
Garrett.

Grant Szuveges
24-07-2009, 05:09 PM
Hi Garrett

Yes, the tournament is an open - anyone can play.

As for accomodation, the Royal Derby Hotel runs a backpackers. It is about 200 metres from the Melbourne Chess Club. Another backpackers close by is the Nunnery - assuming it is still open these days. I also know of a motel on St Georges rd, about 15 - 20 min on the tram and another on Bell St, about 30 min on the tram. I cant remember the names of either, but I live nearby so I will get back to you about them.

I will try to put together a more official guide to accomodation options soon. In the meantime, check out the Melbourne Lonely Planet guide. They will have a good list of inner city options for all budget types.

Watch this space for more info.

Grant

Grant Szuveges
29-07-2009, 10:55 PM
Hi Garrett

Ive spoken to the St Georges Motor Inn, which is on St Georges Road in Thornbury. This motel is approx 15 minutes on the tram from the MCC and is a very nice place. I cant give away much more than that at this stage because Ive got nothing in writing yet. What I can say is that a good deal is being negotiated for chess players if they book through us (the MCC). I will have more news as it breaks on this.

Grant

PS. the tournament brochures are with the printer so they should be ready within days.

Garrett
30-07-2009, 10:41 AM
Hi Grant

Thanks for the information !

I have had holidays approved to attend this event and look forward to the possibility of playing a few games in Melbourne.

Cheers
Garrett.

Grant Szuveges
14-08-2009, 10:18 AM
Hi Everyone

Some news past at committee level last night regarding the Cup Weekender:

1. There will be an earlybird discount. All entries confirmed (and paid) before or on September 30th, will receive a $10 discount.

2. There will be a limit of 100 participants in the event. A "first in first served" system will apply.

So considering these two points, please enter early and get your well earned discount for doing so! For any further info on the event, call me on 0401-925-075 or Carl Gorka on 0406-021-559.

ER
14-08-2009, 05:45 PM
There will be an earlybird discount. All entries confirmed (and paid) before or on September 30th, will receive a $10 discount.

ok boss count me in! Confirming now, will pay at the Club on Monday!

Grant Szuveges
19-08-2009, 11:31 PM
We have already started receiving entries for this event. I will put a list together soon so that people can see who is playing... Dont forget to get in early, claim your place and save ten bucks...

ER
19-08-2009, 11:56 PM
I 've entered, I think I was the frist, not so much for the $10 early bird thingy, but I expect stampede situations at the last moment! Juniors in particular should take advantage of the strength of this tournament and are encouraged to enter!

joergw
25-08-2009, 03:41 AM
I would like to enter as well.
Is there a site where one can self-register, or send a email to a particular person?

Joerg

Garrett
25-08-2009, 08:30 AM
Hi everyone

I am just looking at flights for two of us from Brisbane and it looks like there is a good option which is due to get to Melbourne Tullamarine at 4:45pm.

I have also been told there is a sky-bus which goes to the city. Does anyone have a good guess as to whether we would make it to the venue on time if we were to get this flight ?

There is another option which goes to Avalon at 2:05 pm which would be quite comfortable time-wise to book into our accommodation and get to the venue.

Could anyone have a guess at how much a taxi would cost at 3pm from Avalon airport to the City ?

Any info appreciated.
cheers
Garrett.

Garrett
25-08-2009, 10:20 AM
Hi Garrett

Ive spoken to the St Georges Motor Inn, which is on St Georges Road in Thornbury. This motel is approx 15 minutes on the tram from the MCC and is a very nice place. I cant give away much more than that at this stage because Ive got nothing in writing yet. What I can say is that a good deal is being negotiated for chess players if they book through us (the MCC). I will have more news as it breaks on this.

Grant

PS. the tournament brochures are with the printer so they should be ready within days.

Hi Grant

Do you know when there would be any more news on the accommodation deal ?

cheers
Garrett.

ER
25-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Hi everyone

I am just looking at flights for two of us from Brisbane and it looks like there is a good option which is due to get to Melbourne Tullamarine at 4:45pm.

Hi Garrett
Get Sky bus from Tulla
Get off at Spencer St (Southern Cross) Station. - last stop anyway
From there you either catch Tram 112 (Collins St) or
Tram 96 (Bourke St)
In both cases you 'll be at the CLub around 18.10 - 18. 15 at most.
I have given you plenty of time even in case there is a lot of traffic in the city!
Cheers

Garrett
25-08-2009, 11:56 AM
Wow - thanks for that Mr Knight !

That's great, appreciated.

cheers
Garrett.

ER
25-08-2009, 12:09 PM
and Garrett
I forgot to tell you:
In both tram 96 or 112, tell the driver to let you off ONE STOP after Johnston St.
Once you are there, the Club is one minute walk (112 tram), and 2 minutes 25 secs walk (96 tram).

Garvinator
25-08-2009, 12:09 PM
Could anyone have a guess at how much a taxi would cost at 3pm from Avalon airport to the City ?
Do not go to Avalon for a trip to Melbourne city. It is at least 30 mins in a car, so you can guess how much the taxi would cost.

From my trips to Melbourne, there is a bus that leaves from Spencer Street that goes to Avalon, just like the skybus to Tulla.

As justaknight said, take the Tullamarine option. I would only go to Avalon if I was going to Geelong.

Garrett
25-08-2009, 12:17 PM
great - thanks lads !

That information is good. I'll also have to check to see if it will not be too late to book into the accommodation after round 1.

cheers
Garrett.

queenant89
25-08-2009, 12:35 PM
There is a bus from Avalon to the city...
Its $18.00 per Person, leaves about 20-5 minutes after landing straight out side the terminal... (each bus meets each flights so no worries, and waits if delayed, and departs after everyone leaves the terminal..)

It takes about 45/50 minutes to Southern Cross Station... then take the 112 West Preston from Collins Street.... or the 96 East Brunswick from Bourke Street.

I just have one issue with the arriving flight at 4:45pm... is the possibility of delays..

Garrett
25-08-2009, 12:44 PM
yes thanks Sarah

A late flight is what I was worried about too.

the earlier Avalon option is a decent option if there is a bus and we would probably have time to book into accommodation then too.

I was looking at maps and stuff this morning but thanks for all the local knowledge everyone, much appreciated. :clap:

See you all in October

looking forward to it !
Should be great !!
never been on a tram before.

cheers
Garrett.

Garvinator
25-08-2009, 04:18 PM
While you are talking about flights to Melbourne, virgin and jetstar are currently offering $49/$59 flights to and from Sydney over the Queens Birthday period. NSW Open 2010 is a possibility for cheap flights.

Garrett
25-08-2009, 05:49 PM
wow thanks Garvin.

Perhaps we should have a 'Cheap Flights" thread.

Our flights back from Sydney for the Reserves on Jan 15 were $49-00 each.

Anyway - we've booked flights for the Melbourne Cup tourney so the first wave of QLD'ers are locked in.

cheers
Garrett.

Garvinator
25-08-2009, 06:15 PM
wow thanks Garvin.

Perhaps we should have a 'Cheap Flights" thread.

Our flights back from Sydney for the Reserves on Jan 15 were $49-00 each.

Anyway - we've booked flights for the Melbourne Cup tourney so the first wave of QLD'ers are locked in.

cheers
Garrett.
We are trying to reverse the population flow ;)

Grant Szuveges
26-08-2009, 04:36 PM
Hi Joergw

To enter, send me an email at either grantszuveges@gmail.com or nevermice@hotmail.com

You will also need to send a cheque to
Melbourne Chess Club Inc.
66 Leicester Street Fitzroy, 3065

If you send it before September 30, you will get the $10 off (earlybird discount).

Hi Garrett

We (tournament sub-committee) will be having a meeting in the next few days to finalise the accomodation deal. Sorry to everyone for the delay on this one - MCC has been fairly busy lately, and Im also trying to tee up another accomodation alternative - a backpackers for those who cant afford a hotel. I will announce the accomodation deal as soon as possible.

Talk to you all soon. Grant

Vlad
26-08-2009, 04:45 PM
Does one have to send a check or there are other options?
a) credit card?
b) direct deposit?
c) get Michael Baron to pay cash?!:)

Grant Szuveges
27-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Hi Drug

Unfortunately we dont have credit card and direct debit facilities at MCC (not yet anyway). But if Michael is happy to pay cash for your entry fee, that is fine. Or anyone from interstate who has friends here in Melbourne, its fine if you organise for your friends to pay your entry for you. Cash is definately ok. Other than cash or cheque, a money order is also fine.

Grant

Muzzy
27-08-2009, 02:20 PM
Question:

Why is this tournament called a weekender?

It starts on a Friday and runs through half the week after the weekend.

ER
27-08-2009, 03:10 PM
If you are from Melbourne you 'd know that it takes much more than that for Mexicans to (financially, emotionally and "spiritually") recover from the Cup's events. If you 're not, come down and you 'll see what I mean! :owned:

Lekko
27-08-2009, 03:21 PM
Question:

Why is this tournament called a weekender?

It starts on a Friday and runs through half the week after the weekend.
Long weekend? :)

Ian Rout
27-08-2009, 04:52 PM
If you are from Melbourne you 'd know that it takes much more than that for Mexicans to (financially, emotionally and "spiritually") recover from the Cup's events. If you 're not, come down and you 'll see what I mean! :owned:I can believe that at least some take a while to recover. We went to Melbourne for Elwood last year and my wife amused herself on the late Tuesday afternoon counting people falling down the stairs at Flinders St station.

ER
27-08-2009, 04:56 PM
I can believe that at least some take a while to recover. We went to Melbourne for Elwood last year and my wife amused herself on the late Tuesday afternoon counting people falling down the stairs at Flinders St station.

Oh dear me yes! It should be renamed "Battle of Waterloo" station. There are bodies everywhere! I work across the road in Fed Square, I know first hand!

Froggy
27-08-2009, 06:09 PM
Hi Drug

Unfortunately we dont have credit card and direct debit facilities at MCC (not yet anyway). But if Michael is happy to pay cash for your entry fee, that is fine. Or anyone from interstate who has friends here in Melbourne, its fine if you organise for your friends to pay your entry for you. Cash is definately ok. Other than cash or cheque, a money order is also fine.

Grant
Hi Grant,
Why not allow direct deposit into the MCC bank account as many other clubs do for larger tournaments. (ie from memory ,BHCC offered this for Vic Open.)
All you need to do is make the bank account details available and request surname to be included as reference as well as a follow up email just in case the reference details don't show up on the deposit (as can happen when money comes from some of the smaller more obscure banks).
No cost to MCC and nothing to do other than check the bank account to see who has paid.

joergw
28-08-2009, 04:24 AM
Hi Grant,

I would as well join Froggy's question if a bank transfer could be facilitated somehow?

Thanks!
Joerg

Vlad
28-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Hi Drug

Grant

Thanks mate. I will find the way to pass the entry fee with friends.

Grant Szuveges
29-08-2009, 07:08 PM
Good news people!

Ive spoken to Pano (the MCC treasurer) and we have decided that it will be ok to deposit the money into the MCC account. I dont have the account number yet, but I will post it up here as soon as I have it. We would rather people pay by cheque or cash, but this is ok too.

If you do pay by a direct deposit, please MAKE SURE that you do the following:

1. Please include your name with the deposit

2. Please make sure that it is the exact right money

3. Please send me an email telling me exactly when you put the money in.

I will get back to you when I have found out the bank account number.

ER
29-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Good news people!

Ive spoken to Pano (the MCC treasurer) and we have decided that it will be ok to deposit the money into the MCC account. I dont have the account number yet, but I will post it up here as soon as I have it. We would rather people pay by cheque or cash, but this is ok too.

If you do pay by a direct deposit, please MAKE SURE that you do the following:

1. Please include your name with the deposit

2. Please make sure that it is the exact right money

3. Please send me an email telling me exactly when you put the money in.

I will get back to you when I have found out the bank account number.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

When action speaks louder than words!

Grant Szuveges
30-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Here are the MCC bank details for people who want to pay their entries directly into the MCCs account:

Melbourne Chess Club Inc.

Bendigo Bank, Carlton Branch
186-190 Lygon St. Carlton 3053

Account Number 132887126
BSB Number 633-000

As I said in the earlier post, if you do pay this way, please send me an email stating when you put the money in and make sure that you put in the correct amount!!!

Garrett
03-09-2009, 10:29 AM
Hi Garrett

We (tournament sub-committee) will be having a meeting in the next few days to finalise the accomodation deal.

Hi Grant

Is there any further news on the accommodation ?

PS - don't mean to sound pushy, you lot are doing a great job. If you like we can organise our own place. I'm just worried about missing out alltogether.

cheers
Garrett.

Grant Szuveges
03-09-2009, 08:51 PM
Hi Garrett, (and everyone else waiting for this)

I have sorted out an accomodation deal with a motel near the venue.

The motel is the St. Georges Motor Inn, at 334 St. Georges Road, Thornbury VIC 3071.

I have spoken to them and they will offer the following prices to players who stay for 4 nights (Friday Oct 30 - Monday Nov 2):

STANDARD ROOM $110 per night. This room contains one queensize bed and is suitable for one or two people.

TWIN ROOM $145 per night. This room contains one queensize bed and one single bed.

FAMILY ROOM $175 per night. This room contains one queensize bed and two single beds.

All beds are in the same room in all 3 cases, so the family room is not an apartment, and the twin room is not actually two rooms, but one with two beds.

These rates are cheaper than the regular rates and have been specially given to us for the tournament. If you want to get the discount rate, mention the Melbourne Chess Club Cup Weekender Chess Tournament and Grant Szuveges when you make your booking. The owners name is Michael, and his brother Joe is the manager.

The motel is conveniently located on the same tramline as the Melbourne Chess Club. It is approx 15 - 20 minutes on the tram or 10 minutes driving. Here are the motels details once again:

St. Georges Road Motor Inn
334 St. Georges Road, Thornbury VIC 3071
phone: (03) 9416-8233, fax: (03) 9416-9707
email: info@stgeorgesmotorinn.com.au

Try to book your rooms early because Cup Weekend is popular, and make sure you pay your entry fees before September 30th to get the earlybird discount. For any other questions, call me on 0401-925-075 or email me at grantszuveges@gmail.com

Thanks, Grant

Mischa
03-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Hi Garrett, (and everyone else waiting for this)

I have sorted out an accomodation deal with a motel near the venue.

The motel is the St. Georges Motor Inn, at 334 St. Georges Road, Thornbury VIC 3071.

I have spoken to them and they will offer the following prices to players who stay for 4 nights (Friday Oct 30 - Monday Nov 2):

STANDARD ROOM $110 per night. This room contains one queensize bed and is suitable for one or two people.

TWIN ROOM $145 per night. This room contains one queensize bed and one single bed.

FAMILY ROOM $175 per night. This room contains one queensize bed and two single beds.

All beds are in the same room in all 3 cases, so the family room is not an apartment, and the twin room is not actually two rooms, but one with two beds.

These rates are cheaper than the regular rates and have been specially given to us for the tournament. If you want to get the discount rate, mention the Melbourne Chess Club Cup Weekender Chess Tournament and Grant Szuveges when you make your booking. The owners name is Michael, and his brother Joe is the manager.

The motel is conveniently located on the same tramline as the Melbourne Chess Club. It is approx 15 - 20 minutes on the tram or 10 minutes driving. Here are the motels details once again:

St. Georges Road Motor Inn
334 St. Georges Road, Thornbury VIC 3071
phone: (03) 9416-8233, fax: (03) 9416-9707
email: info@stgeorgesmotorinn.com.au

Try to book your rooms early because Cup Weekend is popular, and make sure you pay your entry fees before September 30th to get the earlybird discount. For any other questions, call me on 0401-925-075 or email me at grantszuveges@gmail.com

Thanks, Grant

I am assuming that James willpolay (yet to be discussed) but if that is the case then Vlad let us return the favour and have you stay with us!

Garrett
04-09-2009, 07:27 AM
Hi Grant

Thanks for the accomodation recommendation.

I'll get onto it today.

cheers
Garrett.

The Bennett
08-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Grant,

I'm wondering how many spots are left, as i am considering playing in this one (FIDE tournament debut)
Cheers,
Matt Bennett

Grant Szuveges
09-09-2009, 02:25 AM
Hi Matt

There are lots of spots left (we are catering for up to 100 players!!!), so yes of course you can enter. Have a look through this thread for the payments options, and remember to get the earlybird discount, you must pay before the end of September. Send me an email for any other info at grantszuveges@gmail.com

cheers, Grant

Davidflude
12-09-2009, 12:55 PM
Hi Matt

There are lots of spots left (we are catering for up to 100 players!!!), so yes of course you can enter. Have a look through this thread for the payments options, and remember to get the earlybird discount, you must pay before the end of September. Send me an email for any other info at grantszuveges@gmail.com

cheers, Grant

Grant I hope that you do even better than that

Garvinator
12-09-2009, 02:00 PM
What is the maximum comfortable capacity of MCC for a tournament like this?

Grant Szuveges
12-09-2009, 07:59 PM
Hi Garvin

The maximum comfortable capacity is 100 players - thats why we are limiting the numbers to 100...

Hi David

Yes, hopefully we do really really well - thanks for the support...

Grant Szuveges
16-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Hi Everyone

Here is a current list of players so far:

The following people are already paid up (or in the case of IMs and GMs have registered and get a free entry):

Elliot RENZIES
Eugene SCHON
Mark MACKENZIE
David SMERDON (GM)
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
James MORRIS (IM)
Efrain TIONKO
Hamish SELNES
George LESTER
Stephen SOLOMON (IM)
Elizabeth WARREN
Roger McCART

The following people have entered but havnt paid yet:

Bobby CHENG
Michael ADDAMO
Jake KOSTREZEWA
David HACCHE
Justin TAN
Frank LEKKAS

Dont forget the deadline for earlybird discounts is September 30th so get in quick!

Garvinator
16-09-2009, 08:36 PM
No Name Loc

1. SMERDON, David C 2535
2. SOLOMON, Stephen J 2370
3. SCHON, Eugene 2171
4. CHENG, Bobby 2163
5. MORRIS, James 2160
6. HACCHE, David J 2061
7. TAN, Justin 1990
8. LESTER, George E 1857
9. SELNES, Hamish 1748
10. TIONKO, Efrain 1731
11. MCCART, Roger 1592
12. KOSTRZEWA, Jake 1497
13. LEKKAS, Frank 1375
14. RENZIES, Elliott 1353
15. MCKENZIE, Mark 1188
16. ADDAMO, Michael 1144
17. RAYSON-HILL, Tristan
18. WARREN, Elizabeth

ER
16-09-2009, 09:27 PM
Garvinator
I know you did this to make sure everyone knows I am not one of them IMs and GMs Grant is talking about! :P

Garvinator
16-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Garvinator
I know you did this to make sure everyone knows I am not one of them IMs and GMs Grant is talking about! :P
OMG :eek: he worked out my motivation :lol: of course it could just be that the world is not all about you all the time ;) and the list of players was just for information purposes :)

ER
17-09-2009, 01:27 AM
of course it could just be that the world is not all about you all the time ;)

:eek: :(

puru
17-09-2009, 01:01 PM
hi i`m from nepal..
i heard from our chess association that nepal has been invited for this tournament...n i`m really intrested to take part
i`m a rated player too
but i found a problem that players have to pay for ticketing themselves..
n u know its really expensive..
i heard there`s only da facility of free stay n entry for us but not fooding..
i think that will be too a kinda problem for us...
i wanna know if there`s any other help u can provide for us...
looking ahead
bye

MichaelBaron
18-09-2009, 10:49 AM
hi i`m from nepal..
i heard from our chess association that nepal has been invited for this tournament...n i`m really intrested to take part
i`m a rated player too
but i found a problem that players have to pay for ticketing themselves..
n u know its really expensive..
i heard there`s only da facility of free stay n entry for us but not fooding..
i think that will be too a kinda problem for us...
i wanna know if there`s any other help u can provide for us...
looking ahead
bye

I never realized Nepal had some grandmasters :)

SHump
18-09-2009, 12:01 PM
FIDE has no IM or GM listed from Nepal (87 players listed in Nepal). FYI, there is a "Chaulagain, Purushottam" player (see http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=12300730) with an 1877 FIDE rating.

Kevin Bonham
18-09-2009, 02:23 PM
I wonder if puru might have the wrong thread or event.

Grant Szuveges
18-09-2009, 02:36 PM
I think that Puru has the right thread, as Ive been in email contact with the Nepalese chess association. They dont have a lot in the way of funds, so if anyone out there does want to billet a player and supply their food - maybe in exchange for some coaching or something, please contact me asap.

I will use this opportunity to say that Ive been to Nepal twice, and it is one of my favourite countries. The people are amongst the nicest on earth and they are doing it tough. If you do billet one of their players, dont be surprised if they look after you really well when/if you go to Nepal one day - despite having so little themselves. This could be an opportunity to make a friend for life - and to experience a culture which is totally different from ours. I cant guarantee this, but I wouldnt be at all surprised if this was the case.

I actually think that Nepal would be the perfect location for a great chess tournament too...

Tony Dowden
22-09-2009, 08:18 AM
I've entered :)

And I'm looking forward to meeting/playing JAK and Garrett :P

ER
22-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Good news mate, glad to hear you 're coming, you are most welcome! :) See you there!

Lekko
22-09-2009, 05:38 PM
Plenty of competition... I can't wait!!!

mikesguns
22-09-2009, 06:02 PM
Neither can I, should be a huge tournament, bigger than the Vic Open and possibly bigger than last years Elwood tournament

Garrett
22-09-2009, 06:24 PM
I've entered :)

And I'm looking forward to meeting/playing JAK and Garrett :P

cool ! See you there.

Grant Szuveges
22-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Hi Everyone

The earlybird discount on entry fees will close in less than a week. Please pay your entry fees before Sept 30th please in order to get $10 off.... Check this thread for the MCCs bank details.

Tony Dowden
22-09-2009, 08:50 PM
cool ! See you there.

Yes! About time :cool:

Will have to have a beer with you but not a 4X :lol:

Tony Dowden
22-09-2009, 08:51 PM
Good news mate, glad to hear you 're coming, you are most welcome! :) See you there!

Thanks JAK

Look out for an old short balding dude - and I'll be the other one ;)

Garvinator
22-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Look out for an old short balding dude - and I'll be the other one ;)So that will mean there will be two old short balding dudes near each other ;)

Lekko
23-09-2009, 12:11 AM
So that will mean there will be two old short balding dudes near each other ;)
Perhaps they can admire just how much hair I have? ;)

Davidflude
23-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Hi Everyone

The early bird discount on entry fees will close in less than a week. Please pay your entry fees before Sept 30th please in order to get $10 off.... Check this thread for the MCCs bank details.

Hello Grant

Will it be possible for me to pay my entry at the club if I come in to watch the Victorian Junior Masters? (I will pay a visitors fee).

How are entries coming along?

Hopefully this will be the biggest tournament of the year.

Garvinator
25-09-2009, 01:07 PM
Is there another update for entries?

Tony Dowden
26-09-2009, 07:23 PM
Perhaps they can admire just how much hair I have? ;)
When you are 'HeartBreak Old Chap' you won't care how much hair you've got - let alone how much someone else has got ;)

Grant Szuveges
27-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Hi Everyone

Here is the list of entries so far. Only 4 more days to go if you want to get the earlybird discount!

PAID (or not fee due to title)

Elliot RENZIES
Eugene SCHON
Bobby CHENG
Mark MACKENZIE
David SMERDON (GM)
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
James MORRIS (IM)
Efrain TIONKO
Hamish SELNES
George LESTER
Steven SOLOMON (IM)
Elizabeth WARREN
Roger McCART
Zacharey LOH
Tony DOWDEN
Scott HUMPHREYS

UNPAID

Michael ADDAMO
Jake KOSTRZEWA
David HACCHE
Justin TAN
Frank LEKKAS
Thomas FENG
David FLUDE

Garvinator
27-09-2009, 04:09 PM
No Name Loc

1. SMERDON, David C 2535
3. SCHON, Eugene 2171
4. CHENG, Bobby 2163
5. MORRIS, James 2160
6. HACCHE, David J 2061
7. TAN, Justin 1990
8. DOWDEN, Tony 1980
9. LESTER, George E 1857
10. SELNES, Hamish 1748
11. TIONKO, Efrain 1731
12. FLUDE, David A 1637
13. MCCART, Roger 1592
14. FENG, Thomas 1542
15. KOSTRZEWA, Jake 1497
16. HUMPHREYS, Scott 1434
17. LEKKAS, Frank 1375
18. RENZIES, Elliott 1353
19. LOH, Zachary 1250
20. MCKENZIE, Mark 1188
21. ADDAMO, Michael 1144
22. RAYSON-HILL, Tristan
23. WARREN, Elizabeth

Grant Szuveges
27-09-2009, 04:13 PM
I just got an email from Kyle GIBSON. Add him to the list too - he is also PAID

Garvinator
27-09-2009, 04:43 PM
No Name Loc

1. SMERDON, David C 2535
3. SCHON, Eugene 2171
4. CHENG, Bobby 2163
5. MORRIS, James 2160
6. HACCHE, David J 2061
7. TAN, Justin 1990
8. DOWDEN, Tony 1980
9. LESTER, George E 1857
10. SELNES, Hamish 1748
11. TIONKO, Efrain 1731
12. FLUDE, David A 1637
13. MCCART, Roger 1592
14. FENG, Thomas 1542
15. KOSTRZEWA, Jake 1497
16. HUMPHREYS, Scott 1434
17. LEKKAS, Frank 1375
18. RENZIES, Elliott 1353
19. LOH, Zachary 1250
20. MCKENZIE, Mark 1188
21. ADDAMO, Michael 1144
22. GIBSON, Kyle 1107
23. RAYSON-HILL, Tristan
24. WARREN, Elizabeth

Grant Szuveges
27-09-2009, 05:43 PM
Hi Garvin

I just received an entry (unpaid) from Domagoj DRAGICEVIC, so you can add him to the list too.

Grant

Garvinator
27-09-2009, 08:24 PM
No Name ACF

1. SMERDON, David C 2535
3. SCHON, Eugene 2171
4. CHENG, Bobby 2163
5. MORRIS, James 2160
6. DRAGICEVIC, Domagoj 2118
7. HACCHE, David J 2061
8. TAN, Justin 1990
9. DOWDEN, Tony 1980
10. LESTER, George E 1857
11. SELNES, Hamish 1748
12. TIONKO, Efrain 1731
13. FLUDE, David A 1637
14. MCCART, Roger 1592
15. FENG, Thomas 1542
16. KOSTRZEWA, Jake 1497
17. HUMPHREYS, Scott 1434
18. LEKKAS, Frank 1375
19. RENZIES, Elliott 1353
20. LOH, Zachary 1250
21. MCKENZIE, Mark 1188
22. ADDAMO, Michael 1144
23. GIBSON, Kyle 1107
24. RAYSON-HILL, Tristan
25. WARREN, Elizabeth

Basil
27-09-2009, 08:45 PM
Enough! A list every so often thanks people. This is like Twitter FFS. We don't need an update every time someone has a bowel movement of boils the kettle.

mikesguns
27-09-2009, 08:47 PM
Come down Gunner.
Garvinator it is easier to just edit the first posting of entries.

Grant Szuveges
07-10-2009, 10:32 PM
Hi Everyone

Ive got a few quick announcements regarding the Cup Weekender:

1. I have continued liasing (is that spelt right?) with the Nepalese Chess Federation and they want to send out 3 players and an official. So far I have only had 1 person offer accomodation and 1 offer food. If these players are going to come out to Australia to play in this event, I need to find 3 more people who are willing to billet the players and 3 people who are willing to supply food for them. If you are interested, please contact me asap, as it will take a few weeks for the players to get their Australian visas approved. You can contact me on grantszuveges@gmail.com or by phone on 0401-925-075. Bear it in mind that Nepal is one of the worlds poorest countries and that it will be the first time in history that Nepalese players have played in a chess tournament in Australia.

2. A team of 8 junior players will also be coming out from the Philipines. They havnt got their visas yet but are in the process of doing so. This should add some interest to the event.

3. If anyone has any friends from other countries who may be interested in playing, please encourage them to do so, so that we can have more countries represented.

Since the visas for the international players have not been confirmed yet, I wont add the players names to the official list yet. I will add them when they are confirmed. 2 of the Nepalese players are rated over 2000 and the other one is over 1900. Im not sure how strong the Philipino players are yet.

Lekko
07-10-2009, 10:43 PM
Hey Grant, just letting you know that I won't be able to play the two games on November 2nd as I have my specialist math exam on that day. Should I get the two half point byes or postpone the games?

Grant Szuveges
07-10-2009, 11:39 PM
Frank

You can take 2 half point byes. Its impossible to postpone games in a weekender. No problem with byes though.

MichaelBaron
08-10-2009, 04:34 PM
I wonder what the Nepalese official is coming for ;)

Grant Szuveges
08-10-2009, 11:14 PM
I wonder what the Nepalese official is coming for ;)

that I dont know....

I did look him up on the internet though and he is an active player also - albeit much weaker than the other 3 players (who I also looked up).

He may have a better grasp of English than the others, or the Nepalese Chess Federation may simply send an official with the players to all international events. Who knows? Things are done a bit differently over there. "Keeping face" or "Keeping up appearances" is generally considered quite important in Nepal (and many other countries in that region) from my experience. Looking at it through the eyes of our society wont always get us an answer...

mikesguns
09-10-2009, 06:53 AM
Do we have a list of entries so far?

Garrett
20-10-2009, 07:48 AM
From reading the CV thread it appears there is some ill-feeling between the Melbourne clubs.

Hopefully this interclub rivalry will not impact this tournament and all Victorian players get behind this tournament if they can.

Garrett.

Watto
20-10-2009, 08:32 AM
From reading the CV thread it appears there is some ill-feeling between the Melbourne clubs.

Hopefully this interclub rivalry will not impact this tournament and all Victorian players get behind this tournament if they can.

Garrett.
I doubt very much whether the CV related issues you're talking about would affect this event. My sense is that Victorian players from the whole range of clubs are excited about it and will be supporting it.
To those of you who are considering entering and have never visited Fitzroy, it's a great spot to wander around between rounds. Filled with cafes, restaurants, interesting stores, bookshops and bars. I lived on Brunswick Street for 5 years and can't recommend it enough.

SHump
20-10-2009, 10:25 AM
I would have to agree with Watto. CV issues and politics are usually not in anyone's foremost mind when deciding to enter a tournament I would like to propose. More basic things like where, when, how much are considered. And just because it is held at MCC I cannot see why anyone would not go there on that account (again, things like transport, accommodation, distance, convenience factors come into play).

Note the amount of the prizemoney is not one of my concerns - I do not usually trouble the award winners, but tournament entry is done for all the other factors, too numerous to mention.

And Garrett - just why do you think there is any ill feeling between the Melb clubs? I cannot see anything in the CV thread that would suggest that. I have found that most if not all club members, including those that contribute on here, always seem to enjoy cordial relations with members from other clubs, in my experiences to date.

And yes, Brunswick St/Fitzroy gives plenty of entertainment, which even I have found even though I am a newish Melbourne resident.

Davidflude
20-10-2009, 11:20 AM
We need to set aside the Victorian election to support this tournament.

I am not involving myself in the Victorian election three ring circus.

I have to play a round of the Victorian Chess Championship Reserves at the Melbourne Chess Club. This will give me a good chance to see the improvements in facilities and assess whether the natives are friendly.

Garrett
20-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Excellent to hear that my fears are ill-founded.

Shump I don't want to go pulling quotes from the CV thread and I will take it on your good word that there are no inter-club issues which will affect this tournament. I don't spend a lot of time in that thread and could easily have misinterpreted what I have read there.

I am quite looking forward to visiting Mebourne and hope we get a big turnout and have a successful tournament.

cheers
Garrett.

Grant Szuveges
20-10-2009, 05:08 PM
Hi Everyone

I havnt put anything much up regarding this tournament for the past few weeks, because I am waiting on the confirmation of the Nepalese and Philipino players - hopefully they get their visas on time without hassles.

So far we have approx 30 entries, although I would imagine that we will get more before the event starts. I will post a list of entries soon (I dont have it on me at the moment).

As for the problems between Victorian clubs issue, I dont think there are any issues between any of the clubs. Our club certainly doesnt have any problems with any other clubs. I think that most Victorian clubs get along fairly well actually. And as various people have said, I dont think that these things tend to affect entries anyway. I see the CV election issue as a bit of a storm in a teacup personally and I wish this thread would get half as many hits as the CV one does! This event is MCCs major focus at the moment.

What I can say is that for those thinking about entering, you can get 9 games of chess over a weekend (or 7 or 8 if you take a half point bye), get to watch the Melbourne Cup at MCC, check out the cafes, restaurants, bars and pubs of Brunswick St - including MCC sponsors "the Gypsy Bar" and "the Vegie Bar" and check out the Royal Derby Hotel where there will be a blitz exhibition from 12 noon until 3am on the Saturday - with all proceeds going to the MCC building fund. At this stage Carl Gorka and myself will be playing non-stop from 10pm til 3am, so hopefully the buckets will be full of coins! Not sure who the players will be for the 12-5 and 5-10 shifts.... The Derby also does great gourmet pizzas for about $6...

So if you are thinking about playing, please do!

I will announce more news as it breaks...

Grant Szuveges, MCC president

PS. if you have any questions about this event, please call me on 0401-925-075 or email me at grantszuveges@gmail.com

Solo
20-10-2009, 05:10 PM
I regret to advise that I can't make it for this tournament:( . I thought I'd give Garrett a chance:hand: ... er ... I have to work. I was only a 20% chance anyway. Good luck Garrett!!

Tony Dowden
20-10-2009, 06:17 PM
I regret to advise that I can't make it for this tournament:( . I thought I'd give Garrett a chance:hand: ... er ... I have to work. I was only a 20% chance anyway. Good luck Garrett!!

A pity Solo, I was going to extract a pound of flesh on behalf of Mike Steadman ;)

Tony Dowden
20-10-2009, 06:19 PM
I haven't put anything much up regarding this tournament for the past few weeks ... So far we have approx 30 entries ... I will announce more news as it breaks ... Grant Szuveges, MCC president

Thanks for the up-date Grant :P

Grant Szuveges
20-10-2009, 11:31 PM
Hi Everyone

Here is a more up to date list of the players as it stands now. For those of you who havnt paid yet, please do so asap. I havnt included the Nepalese and Philipino players yet as they are waiting for their visas. There are approx 12 of them all in all. Stephen Solomon is unable to play and Smerdon is now doubtful, but there are quite a number of 2000-2300 type players playing, so the top half should still be fairly strong. Players without FIDE ratings may have a good opportunity to get one (or at least a block of games towards one) from this event. Hopefully I get a flood of entries in the next few days, as we only have approx 10 days to go!!! Looking forward to it greatly.

I would also like to use this opportunity to thank Chess Victoria for their generous donation of $500 towards the arbiter and admin costs of this tournament. The arbiter will be International Arbiter Gary Bekker - the best in the business, so with him in charge things should run very smoothly and also be lots of fun!

Talk to you all when Ive got more info...

Grant Szuveges

Cup Weekend Players:

RENZIES, Elliot (PAID)
SCHON, Eugene (PAID)
CHENG, Bobby (PAID)
MACKENZIE, Mark (PAID)
ADDAMO, Michael (PAID)
KOSTRZEWA, Jake
SMERDON, David GM (???)
RAYSON-HILL, Tristan (PAID)
HACCHE, David
MORRIS, James IM (PAID – no fee)
TIONKO, Efraim (PAID)
TAN, Justin
SELNES, Hamish (PAID)
LESTER, George (PAID)
LEKKAS, Frank
WARREN, Elizabeth (PAID)
McCART, Roger (PAID)
LOH, Zachary (PAID)
FENG, Thomas
DOWDEN, Tony (PAID)
HUMPHREYS, Scott (PAID)
FLUDE, David
GIBSON, Kyle (PAID)
DRAGICEVIC, Domagoj (PAID)
SMIRNOV, Anton (PAID)
STOJIC, Svetozar (PAID)
McCOOK, Jake (PAID)
SEAH, Eddy
KOLAK, Chris
YU, Sally

Vlad
21-10-2009, 12:56 AM
No Name Loc
1. Smedon, David 2535
2. SCHON, Eugene 2171
3. CHENG, Bobby 2163
4. MORRIS, James 2160
5. DRAGICEVIC, Domagoj 2118
6. HACCHE, David J 2061
7. Seah, Eddy 1992
8. TAN, Justin 1990
9. DOWDEN, Tony 1980
10. Stojic, Svetozar 1967
11. LESTER, George E 1857
12. SELNES, Hamish 1748
13. TIONKO, Efrain 1731
14. Yu, Sally 1716
15. Smirnov, Anton 1668
16. FLUDE, David A 1637
17. MCCART, Roger 1592
18. FENG, Thomas 1542
19. KOSTRZEWA, Jake 1497
20. McCOOK, Jake 1495
21. HUMPHREYS, Scott 1434
22. LEKKAS, Frank 1375
23. RENZIES, Elliott 1353
24. LOH, Zachary 1250
25. MCKENZIE, Mark 1188
26. ADDAMO, Michael 1144
27. GIBSON, Kyle 1107
28. Kolak, Chris
29. RAYSON-HILL, Tristan
30. Warren, Elizabeth

Vlad
21-10-2009, 01:02 AM
Hi Grant,

Just a quick enquiry, obviously it could be too late to change anything now.

Usually the tournaments that have interstate/foreign players participating, schedule the last games earlier. Is it possible to start raound 8 at 9 am and round 9 at 1 pm? Thanks in advance.

ER
22-10-2009, 12:08 AM
I will still be working at that time! (9 am)! Please do not have my nightmare with tournament starting times at MCC extend to weekenders!

Grant Szuveges
22-10-2009, 12:12 AM
I had a chat with David Beaumont today, and he asked me to put his name on the list! Firegoat has played well in some MCC Allegros this year and he seems to be winning quite a few games in the Vic Champs reserves, so come down and have a crack at him in the Cup weekender. Since it is a 9 round event, 9 people could get to play against Firegoat!!! Imagine the bragging rights if you beat him! But imagine what will happen if you dont beat him! If that isnt enough incentive to get at least another 40 entries, I dont know what is...

ER
22-10-2009, 12:27 AM
I had a chat with David Beaumont today, and he asked me to put his name on the list!
Be warned! David is planning a serious comeback to Chess! I had a great conversation with him the other night reminiscent of the old times!
I hope Michael Baron won't chicken out of this tournament although the presence of Beaumont will give him another reason to find a good excuse NOT to be there!
I also have info that we should expect a No of late entries on this one, so be prepared for it as I know you will!

Grant Szuveges
22-10-2009, 12:27 AM
Hi Grant,

Usually the tournaments that have interstate/foreign players participating, schedule the last games earlier. Is it possible to start raound 8 at 9 am and round 9 at 1 pm? Thanks in advance.

Hi Drug

Unfortunately/fortunately (depending who is reading this) we wont be moving the round times back, because many people have already paid their entry fees and have an expectation to get what we advertised.

I clearly see your point about the round times, but we wanted to allow people the chance to watch the Melbourne Cup - its the race that stops a nation!!! Its quite a big part of our culture in Melbourne, so we thought we would give players to opportunity to watch it.

Please dont let this stop you from playing in the tournament though! If you have any issues regarding getting back before a certain time, please contact me and Im sure we can arrange something. We are not offering half point byes in the final 2 rounds, but we will approve a pre-arranged withdrawal - as it is better for the tournament for us to have you here for 8 rounds rather than not at all!

Hope to see you down in Melbourne for the tournament - whether you play the whole 9 rounds or only 7 or 8...

ER
22-10-2009, 12:41 AM
Hi Grant,

OK just in case, and since I am at work right now, I will make an additional application for my time re-scheduling so in the (highly unlikely) event that I will have to face Drug in the penultimate round, there will be no problem!
Drug's and Anton's presence in the tournament is very important for me not to try to even bend backwards to accommodate them!
It's up to other players and of course the organising committee to examine this option!

MichaelBaron
22-10-2009, 11:23 PM
I hope Michael Baron won't chicken out of this tournament although the presence of Beaumont will give him another reason to find a good excuse NOT to be there!

Its hard to chicken out ..since I never entered! :). However, I may come on saturday and/or sunday to spectate and to support David and all other MCC members.

ER
22-10-2009, 11:48 PM
ok if you aren't a http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Animals/animals-35.gifthen be a http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Animals/animals-15.gif and come and play! :)

Alana
23-10-2009, 02:44 PM
do you know of any close and cheap accomodation for this? I am still trying to persuade mum to let me play as it's the last chance for a tournament for me before Turkey.

ER
23-10-2009, 05:00 PM
do you know of any close and cheap accomodation for this? I am still trying to persuade mum to let me play as it's the last chance for a tournament for me before Turkey.
Whatever you do, I certainly DO NOT recommend any backpacker places! I am sure there would be families (of junior participants who would make some arrangements with you)!

Watto
23-10-2009, 05:50 PM
http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=10200&page=7
Hi Alana. In post 105 Grant refers to accommodation which is close by.

Alana
23-10-2009, 08:12 PM
Whatever you do, I certainly DO NOT recommend any backpacker places! I am sure there would be families (of junior participants who would make some arrangements with you)!

hehe that's funny I was actually thinking of staying in a backpacker place... :P

hmmm IF I am able to play (mum's birthday on the Monday -.-) then I'm sure I'll sort out something... maybe stay with my dad. Is North Balwyn near the venue?

Also is there a concession price for the tournament or just "Adult" and "Junior"?

The Bennett
23-10-2009, 09:07 PM
Is anyone staying at the Motel Grant has suggested? (post #105) I really wanna go to the tournament but Mum wont let me adless someones with me when I go to and from the tournament :hmm: (esspecially at night)
so if someone could just be there with me I'd really appreciate it cause this would be my first FIDE :)

Grant Szuveges
23-10-2009, 10:30 PM
Big news: David Smerdon will not be playing in the tournament. This has really opened up the field with numerous playing capable of winning. Two big names (amongst others) to enter over the past few days are IMs Guy West and Igor Goldenberg. The field is starting to shape up as quite strong - particularly at the top.

Bennett, I know of at least one player (a regular on this forum) who will be staying at the motel I recommended.

Alana, North Balwyn is not that far - its fairly close to Box Hill Chess Club and lots of their members are playing, so someone should be able to give you a lift.

The closest backpackers is the Royal Derby Hotel, about 100 metres from MCC. I would assume that you would have to be 18 to stay there though.

As for the entry fees, there is no adult concession, just the discount for under 18s.

Garrett
24-10-2009, 06:28 AM
Hi Bennett

A couple of us Queenslanders are staying at the St George Motel so you're welcome to travel to and from (once I work out exactly how that is to happen) the venue with us if you like.

Cheers
Garrett.

Watto
24-10-2009, 08:13 AM
Hi Bennett

A couple of us Queenslanders are staying at the St George Motel so you're welcome to travel to and from (once I work out exactly how that is to happen) the venue with us if you like.

Cheers
Garrett.
Hi Garrett. St Georges Road is the north continuation of Brunswick Street (which is the main street in Fitzroy and the one Leicester Street runs off) so it's a very direct route to the venue. It's 4.5 km/7 min drive from the motel to the venue according to whereis.com. See http://www.whereis.com/?id=1486954125B1B2

By public transport, it's a 15 minute trip by tram along St Georges Road/Brunswick Street.

The journey planner on http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/ is a very useful tool for working out how best to get around Melbourne if you don't have a car. According to the journey planner, Tram stop 32 is 50 metres from the motel. You take Tram 112 (the eventual destination is St Kilda but you'll be getting off a long way before that.) and get off at Stop 17 Leicester Street/Brunswick Street. Walk up Leicester Street and you can't miss the MCC with its newly painted walls (On the return route to the motel, the same 112 tram heads to Preston but again you'll be getting off before that.)

Anyway, hope that all makes sense. See you at the tournament (I've entered too :))

p.s. Daily Zone 1 tickets can be bought on the tram. You can go anywhere with them within zone 1, which includes the city, all day. 2 hour tickets are also an option but daily are probably the best bet if you are going to and from the venue (ie not getting driven one way or something.) Zone 1, Daily tickets fare price: Full price$6.80 and concession $3.70

Davidflude
24-10-2009, 08:17 AM
Is North Balwyn near the venue?

North Balwyn has two tram line and and buses.The trams run into the city and then you can connect to another tram which takes you within 150 metres of the venue.

The bus runs along Belmore Road but not always to the city. You may need to change to a tram at the Harp pub.

Either way buy a daily zone 1 zone 2 ticket which enables you to ride on the trams and trains. Could someone from Melbourne post which trams to catch that go along Brunwck Sreet.

I live near North Balwyn but may have to take someone else to the tournament. Othewise i will be able to pick you up and take you home.

Garrett
24-10-2009, 10:29 AM
hey thanks for that info Watto !

I'll have to print it out. I think Grant gave some info too earlier in the thread but just hadn't got around to getting it all together yet.

See you at the event, hopefully the entries are flooding in !

cheers
Garrett.

The Bennett
24-10-2009, 11:10 AM
Hi Bennett

Cheers
Garrett.
Thanks Garrett, I really appreciate your help. I'll just confirm with Mum that I'm going and I'll probably see you next friday :)

Cheers,
Matt B

Garrett
24-10-2009, 11:58 AM
okay Matt

Hope you can play.

If you can play, then I'll send you my mobile number and stuff.

If we have time we are going to the motel first on the Friday but if it's tight we may have to meet you at the venue.

Cheers
Garrett.

ER
25-10-2009, 02:15 PM
It is encouraging to see a great No of BHCC members reorganising their Friday playing schedule so they will be able to play in the Melbourne Chess Club CUP weekender!
It shows, amongst other things, that Chess players put Club interests aside when it's for the common good, in this case the new beginning of a great tournament organised by a great Victorian Club - the Melbourne Chess Club!
A good percentage of those players are juniors, a fact which gives us another reason to be happy since it indicates that the vew generation of chess players will develop a new mentality, a new ideology if you wish based upon co-operation and understanding!
Having said all the above, let's come to the practical side of things.
I belong in the category of those who have, or trying to, rearrange their games for the weekender!
Is it possible to have the approval of Grant and his Committee that some of our postponed games are held at the MCC premises?
Please answer this asap so we can act accordingly!

Grant Szuveges
25-10-2009, 10:56 PM
It is encouraging to see a great No of BHCC members reorganising their Friday playing schedule so they will be able to play in the Melbourne Chess Club CUP weekender!
It shows, amongst other things, that Chess players put Club interests aside when it's for the common good, in this case the new beginning of a great tournament organised by a great Victorian Club - the Melbourne Chess Club!
A good percentage of those players are juniors, a fact which gives us another reason to be happy since it indicates that the vew generation of chess players will develop a new mentality, a new ideology if you wish based upon co-operation and understanding!
Having said all the above, let's come to the practical side of things.
I belong in the category of those who have, or trying to, rearrange their games for the weekender!
Is it possible to have the approval of Grant and his Committee that some of our postponed games are held at the MCC premises?
Please answer this asap so we can act accordingly!

Yes, of course! Any players playing postponed Box Hill games can play them at MCC. Ive said this in the past too.... If you do want to play one at MCC, just call me first so that I can make sure that the clubrooms are open though. Perhaps players who want to play postponed Box Hill games because of the Cup Weekender can play them at MCC on Friday afternoon - 2pm for argument sake... Any questions, just call me on 0401-925-075

ER
26-10-2009, 01:42 AM
Yes, of course! Any players playing postponed Box Hill games can play them at MCC. Ive said this in the past too.... If you do want to play one at MCC, just call me first so that I can make sure that the clubrooms are open though. Perhaps players who want to play postponed Box Hill games because of the Cup Weekender can play them at MCC on Friday afternoon - 2pm for argument sake... Any questions, just call me on 0401-925-075

Fantastic news thanks Grant! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Grant Szuveges
26-10-2009, 11:16 PM
Somebody left a message on my answering machine today (Monday) at approx 1pm which was very very crackly. If this was somebody wanting to enquire about the Cup Weekender, please call me back because Ive got no idea what you were trying to say. It sounded like the person was in a taxi...

Grant Szuveges
27-10-2009, 04:15 AM
The following is the latest list of entries to the tournament.....

RENZIES, Elliot
SCHON, Eugene
CHENG, Bobby
MACKENZIE, Mark
ADDAMO, Michael
KOSTRZEWA, Jake
RAYSON - HILL, Tristan
HACCHE, David
MORRIS, James IM
TIONKO, Efraim
TAN, Justin
SELNES, Hamish
LESTER, George
LEKKAS, Frank
WARREN, Elizabeth
McCART, Roger
LOH, Zachary
FENG, Thomas
DOWDEN, Tony
HUMPHREYS, Scott
FLUDE, David
GIBSON, Kyle
DRAGICEVIC, Domagoj
SMIRNOV, Anton
STOJIC, Svetozar
McCOOK, Jake
SEAH, Eddy
KOLAK, Chris
YU, Sally
BEAUMONT, David
GOLDENBERG, Igor IM
FAN, Enoch
WEST, Guy IM
WATSON, Jean
BENNETT, Matthew
XUE, Ollie
TAN, Kai
TANNER, Michael

Davidflude
27-10-2009, 06:56 AM
Grant,

I have crashed with a cold. I am withdrawing from the weekender. Best wishes,

David

The Bennett
27-10-2009, 07:28 PM
Grant, would I be able to take a half point bye in the last round or would that not be possible? It's just that staying another night would be a financial inconvinience as there are no suitable flight times back to Canberra.

Cheers,

Matt

Mischa
27-10-2009, 07:50 PM
No Nepalese?

Garvinator
27-10-2009, 08:18 PM
No Name Loc

1. GOLDENBERG, Igor 2353
2. WEST, Guy 2310
3. SCHON, Eugene 2171
4. CHENG, Bobby 2163
5. MORRIS, James 2160
6. DRAGICEVIC, Domagoj 2118
7. HACCHE, David J 2061
8. KOLAK, Chris 2021
9. SEAH, Eddy 1992
10. TAN, Justin 1990
11. DOWDEN, Tony 1980
12. STOJIC, Svetozar 1967
13. LESTER, George E 1857
14. BEAUMONT, David 1854
15. SELNES, Hamish 1748
16. TIONKO, Efrain 1731
17. YU, Sally 1716
18. SMIRNOV, Anton 1668
19. MCCART, Roger 1592
20. FENG, Thomas 1542
21. TAN, Kai 1526
22. KOSTRZEWA, Jake 1497
23. MCCOOK, Jake 1495
24. HUMPHREYS, Scott 1434
25. LEKKAS, Frank 1375
26. RENZIES, Elliott 1353
27. BENNETT, Matthew 1344
28. WATSON, Jean 1286
29. LOH, Zachary 1250
30. MCKENZIE, Mark 1188
31. ADDAMO, Michael 1144
32. GIBSON, Kyle 1107
33. TANNER, Michael 1070
34. FAN, Enoch 850
35. XUE, Ollie 746
36. RAYSON-HILL, Tristan
37. WARREN, Elizabeth

Grant Szuveges
29-10-2009, 12:42 AM
No Nepalese?

Not sure what has happened to them..... The Philipinos have contacted me and are having trouble with their visas - its a longer wait than usual or something.... As for the Nepalese, Ive got no idea. I would assume that if the Philipinos are having visa problems, then the Nepalese would be having even more visa problems...

Grant Szuveges
29-10-2009, 12:51 AM
Mirko Rujevic is now the 4th IM playing in the tournament. Does anyone know whether this means that an IM norm is a possibility for anyone who plays all 4 of them? How many international players are needed to make norms possible? Or do we need a certain number of countries represented? At the moment we have Australia, New Zealand and possibly Britain - and hopefully the Philipines... Obviously any players getting norms would have to play 9 FIDE rated opponents, play all 4 IMs and get a good enough score - but you never know, these things are possible...

RENZIES, Elliot
SCHON, Eugene
CHENG, Bobby
MACKENZIE, Mark
ADDAMO, Michael
RAYSON-HILL, Tristan
HACCHE, David
MORRIS, James IM
TIONKO, Efraim
TAN, Justin
SELNES, Hamish
LESTER, George
LEKKAS, Frank
WARREN, Elizabeth
McCART, Roger
LOH, Zachary
FENG, Thomas
DOWDEN, Tony
GIBSON, Kyle
DRAGICEVIC, Domagoj
SMIRNOV, Anton
STOJIC, Svetozar
McCOOK, Jake
SEAH, Eddy
KOLAK, Chris
YU, Sally
BEAUMONT, David
GOLDENBERG, Igor IM
FAN, Enoch
WEST, Guy IM
WATSON, Jean
XUE, Ollie
TAN, Kai
TANNER, Michael
WEBB-LIDDLE, Miranda
CHMIEL, Rad
RUJEVIC, Mirko IM
KAPLAN, Alex
KARUMBI, Simon

Oepty
29-10-2009, 06:09 AM
IM's norms require a player to play at least 50% titled players, so that means there needs to be 5 titled for players in the field to meet the requirements. There might be other problems as well.
Scott

Charles
29-10-2009, 06:45 AM
IM's norms require a player to play at least 50% titled players, so that means there needs to be 5 titled for players in the field to meet the requirements. There might be other problems as well.
Scott

Australia is alllowed I think an exempt tournament per year which is usually the championship or the open but for the rest of us, my understanding we are working off for the Doeberl is as follows:

33% of the field played have to be international (4 out of 10)

Achieve a performance rating of 2450 for IM and 2600 for GM

50% of persons in matches titled (includes all titles such as FM etc - not CM however)

20 players in the field from other FIDE countries with 10 GM, IM, WGM, WIM, players amongst them.

To achieve the following norm you must play at least the following (eg WGM is fine if you play 2 GM)
GM - 3GM
IM – 2gm OR 2im+GM or 3IM.
WGM – 2gm, OR 3 of the following GM, IM, WGM, FM
WIM – 3 WIM.

Its really tough in Australia because of the 20 players rule. Thats why we concentrate so hard on getting the conditions right for the Premier in the Doeberl. The only players who have achieved this are our overseas visitors although six Austrlaians went close this year. Maybe next year the Doeberl can achieve this :D

Igor_Goldenberg
29-10-2009, 09:17 AM
Australia is alllowed I think an exempt tournament per year which is usually the championship or the open but for the rest of us, my understanding we are working off for the Doeberl is as follows:

50% of persons in matches titled (includes all titles such as FM etc - not CM however)

20 players in the field from other FIDE countries with 10 GM, IM, WGM, WIM, players amongst them.

To achieve the following norm you must play at least the following (eg WGM is fine if you play 2 GM)
GM - 3GM
WIM – 3 WIM.

Its really tough in Australia because of the 20 players rule. Thats why we concentrate so hard on getting the conditions right for the Premier in the Doeberl. The only players who have achieved this are our overseas visitors although six Austrlaians went close this year. Maybe next year the Doeberl can achieve this :D
Small correction - you need either #1 or #4 has to be fulfilled, not both of them. I.e if you have 20 international players and at least 10 GM, IM, WGM, WIM, the requirement for that 33% of your opponents from non-home federation is waived.

ER
29-10-2009, 09:32 AM
Hi Igor, and congratulations for your new title as a "conditional" IM!
What does it mean and how can we convert that to unconditional??? :)

Bill Gletsos
29-10-2009, 09:40 AM

Actually in a 9 round event you can get a norm if you meet the following conditions:

Achieve a performance rating of 2600 for GM, 2450 for IM, 2400 for WGM or 2200 for WIM
5 of your opponents are titled (GM, IM, FM, WGM, WIM & WFM)
7 of your opponents must be rated however since unrated players are treated as 1200 and only 1 opponent can have their rating uplifted (to 2050 for an IM and 2200 for a GM norm) then you really need 8 rated opponents to have a practical chance at a norm.
The players opponents must come from at least 3 different federations
A maximum of 6 opponents can come from one federation
A maximum of 5 opponents can come from your own federation

GM - 3GM
WIM – 3 WIM.Actually GM's count as 1.5 IM's, 1.5 WGM's and 2 WIM's whilst IM's and FM's count as 1.5 WIM's.
Therefore for a WIM norm the following are also possible:
Any 3 of the following - WIM or WGM
Any 2 of the following - IM or FM
1GM and one of the following - IM, FM, WGM or WIM

Igor_Goldenberg
29-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Hi Igor, and congratulations for your new title as a "conditional" IM!
What does it mean and how can we convert that to unconditional??? :)
Elliot,
I don't know much more then that. I was informed that FIDE approved it conditionally but did not tell what it's conditioned on.
It could be possible that they want to confirm my 2007 Zonal norm counts as 20 games norm, but it's a mere speculation. I was told that FIDE is supposed to tell ACF in a few days what is it conditioned on.

FIDE web site lists my application, but I couldn't see the status of it.

Maybe "conditional" is a euphemism for "half-zonal" ?:lol: :lol:

Bill Gletsos
29-10-2009, 10:44 AM
Mirko Rujevic is now the 4th IM playing in the tournament.Actually only two IM's are playing.
Until FIDE officially list the others on there website as IM's are they are still only FM's.

Bill Gletsos
29-10-2009, 10:49 AM
FIDE web site lists my application, but I couldn't see the status of it.It is listed here (http://www.fide.com/component/content/article/1-fide-news/4148--titles-approved-at-the-80th-fide-congress-).

Igor_Goldenberg
29-10-2009, 01:27 PM
It is listed here (http://www.fide.com/component/content/article/1-fide-news/4148--titles-approved-at-the-80th-fide-congress-).
Thanks.

Did FIDE tell what is it conditional upon?

Bill Gletsos
29-10-2009, 02:05 PM
Thanks.

Did FIDE tell what is it conditional upon?My understanding is that they are querying the total number of games.

It appears that they are either forgetting to count the Zonal as a 20 game norm as per the regulations in effect at the time of the zonal or are incorrectly only counting it as a 13 game norm as per the regulations that came into effect from the 1st July 2009.

Brian_Jones
29-10-2009, 03:54 PM
The Melbourne Chess Club Cup weekender was today confirmed as a Class 3
Yulgilbar Think Big Grand Prix event.

Adamski
29-10-2009, 04:53 PM
The following is the latest list of entries to the tournament.....

RENZIES, Elliot
SCHON, Eugene
CHENG, Bobby
MACKENZIE, Mark
ADDAMO, Michael
KOSTRZEWA, Jake
RAYSON - HILL, Tristan
HACCHE, David
MORRIS, James IM
TIONKO, Efraim
TAN, Justin
SELNES, Hamish
LESTER, George
LEKKAS, Frank
WARREN, Elizabeth
McCART, Roger
LOH, Zachary
FENG, Thomas
DOWDEN, Tony
HUMPHREYS, Scott
FLUDE, David
GIBSON, Kyle
DRAGICEVIC, Domagoj
SMIRNOV, Anton
STOJIC, Svetozar
McCOOK, Jake
SEAH, Eddy
KOLAK, Chris
YU, Sally
BEAUMONT, David
GOLDENBERG, Igor IM
FAN, Enoch
WEST, Guy IM
WATSON, Jean
BENNETT, Matthew
XUE, Ollie
TAN, Kai
TANNER, MichaelGood luck to some non-Victorians! I note an interesting Tasmanian entrant in this list. Plus a certain Garrett and a youngster who features prominently in the web site for the Aus Champs! Good luck guys!

Garrett
29-10-2009, 05:07 PM
yes good luck everyone.

What's the weather like in Melbourne at the moment ?

Cheers
Garrett.

Garvinator
29-10-2009, 06:07 PM
What's the weather like in Melbourne at the moment ?Four seasons in one day of course.

Watto
29-10-2009, 06:25 PM
yes good luck everyone.

What's the weather like in Melbourne at the moment ?

Cheers
Garrett.
28 degrees today and beautiful. T shirt weather. But always bring a jumper or two to Melbourne.
p.s. a very Melbourne thing happened though. Guy told me last night it was meant to be stormy today so I took my cold weather gear, including a jumper I couldn't take off... thought he meant Winter stormy! Sweltered...

that Caesar guy
29-10-2009, 06:49 PM
28 degrees today and beautiful. T shirt weather. But always bring a jumper or two to Melbourne.
p.s. a very Melbourne thing happened though. Guy told me last night it was meant to be stormy today so I took my cold weather gear, including a jumper I couldn't take off... thought he meant Winter stormy! Sweltered...
And another reason to never listen to your husband when it comes down to housekeeping :P

Saragossa
29-10-2009, 06:52 PM
Come on chesschatters! I have to support local the most though, SO GO TONY!!!

And good luck to everyone involved.

ER
29-10-2009, 07:08 PM
Four seasons in one day of course.
aren't you bloody original? :P

Mischa
29-10-2009, 07:52 PM
hot today hot tomorrow hot on Saturday (28-30) then down to 22 ish on Sunday
But being Melbourne you can add or subtract 10 degrees
Melbourne tho is perhaps the hottest capital at times, but subjected to the most wonderful cool changes that can turn chilly...
When in Queensland I had to rethink the nights
Gold Coast was way cooler than I expected
Sydney was just, well,.. mildish
to take a leaf form the scouts...be prepared

Grant Szuveges
29-10-2009, 09:08 PM
Sri Lankan players Vineetha Wijesuriya and Thamala Gumage are now confirmed starters in the event, as is British(?)/Canadian(?) FM Erik Teichmann. Good to see the event with a bit of international flavour.... The Philipino players visas are still in limbo but we should have an answer by 2.30pm tommorow.

RENZIES, Elliot
SCHON, Eugene
CHENG, Bobby
MACKENZIE, Mark
ADDAMO, Michael
RAYSON-HILL, Tristan
HACCHE, David
MORRIS, James IM
TIONKO, Efraim
TAN, Justin
SELNES, Hamish
LESTER, George
LEKKAS, Frank
WARREN, Elizabeth
McCART, Roger
LOH, Zachary
FENG, Thomas
DOWDEN, Tony
GIBSON, Kyle
DRAGICEVIC, Domagoj
SMIRNOV, Anton
STOJIC, Svetozar
McCOOK, Jake
SEAH, Eddy
KOLAK, Chris
YU, Sally
BEAUMONT, David
GOLDENBERG, Igor IM
FAN, Enoch
WEST, Guy IM
WATSON, Jean
XUE, Ollie
TAN, Kai
TANNER, Michael
WEBB-LIDDLE, Miranda
CHMIEL, Rad
RUJEVIC, Mirko IM
KAPLAN, Alex
KARUMBI, Simon
WIJESURIYA, Vineetha
GUMAGE, Thamala
TEICHMANN, Erik FM

ER
30-10-2009, 12:03 AM
40+ :clap:
There will be over 50 tomorrow! See you all there!

Garrett
30-10-2009, 06:31 AM
thanks for the weather tips everyone !

See you there.

cheers
Garrett.

queenant89
30-10-2009, 07:24 AM
I wish everyone the best of luck, in the Cup Weekender.... hopefully there is an excellent turnout, great weather, and more amazing play.

Davidflude
30-10-2009, 10:13 AM
11.15 am and raining at Mont albert North

Basil
30-10-2009, 10:26 AM
11.15 am and raining at Mont albert North
T shirt time in Duggan's garage (fixing drawer). And good luck to everyone who is not fixing drawers and doing the chess thing.

ER
30-10-2009, 03:00 PM
Well tomorrow has become today! In three - four hours from now, there will be lots of movement down Leicester St!
Any late news from Fitzroy?

Igor_Goldenberg
30-10-2009, 03:22 PM
BTW, what is the situation with the parking?
Any advice from club members?

Grant Szuveges
30-10-2009, 03:36 PM
BTW, what is the situation with the parking?
Any advice from club members?

Alexandra Parade is always a good bet. I also like the next street north from Alexandra Parade too - its free there. Also there is free parking on Fitzroy St, opposite the club after 4.30pm. The street just west of Nicholson is also quite good.

Igor_Goldenberg
30-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Alexandra Parade is always a good bet. I also like the next street north from Alexandra Parade too - its free there. Also there is free parking on Fitzroy St, opposite the club after 4.30pm. The street just west of Nicholson is also quite good.
Thanks!

ER
30-10-2009, 04:10 PM
What's the situation like at the Club right now Grant? Any interstate arrivals yet?

Garrett
30-10-2009, 04:14 PM
The QLD's have arrived and are at the motel.

We'll be down the club around 6:30pm or so.

Cheers
Garrett.

ER
30-10-2009, 04:28 PM
The QLD's have arrived and are at the motel.

We'll be down the club around 6:30pm or so.

Cheers
Garrett.

Welcome guys, will see you all there soon! :)

Grant Szuveges
30-10-2009, 04:42 PM
Eddie Seah is in the building! Eddie has come all the way from Perth for this event! More news from the red carpet as it breaks. Simon Karumbi, Tony Dowden from Tasmania, David Hacche and Edfil Dilla are all here too.

ER
30-10-2009, 04:47 PM
Welcome to all! How realistic are my predictions for a 50+ entrants No?

Garvinator
30-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Will the pairings for round one be put up here or on the mcc website soon after play starts?

Grant Szuveges
30-10-2009, 04:58 PM
Welcome to all! How realistic are my predictions for a 50+ entrants No?

44 so far...

ER
30-10-2009, 05:12 PM
We ll get there!
Thanks Grant!
Ok see you all there leaving home now! :)

Grant Szuveges
30-10-2009, 05:14 PM
Slyvester Urban from Hungary is here and has entered the tournament!!! Thats another international player!

MichaelBaron
30-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Slyvester Urban from Hungary is here and has entered the tournament!!! Thats another international player!

Not exactly from Hungary :) He has been living in aus for years...but yes..he is still listed for Hungary on the Fide site so its good.

Garvinator
30-10-2009, 06:55 PM
Awaiting list of players and first round pairings :)

Grant Szuveges
30-10-2009, 07:06 PM
Play is underway with 50 players participating. Pairings will be posted (probably by Gary Bekker) as soon as possible.

Federations represented are as follows:

Australia
New Zealand
England
Hungary
Bosnia Herzegovina
Sri Lanka

and hopefully the Philipines - depending on the visa situation...

Garvinator
30-10-2009, 07:12 PM
Play is underway with 50 players participating. Pairings will be posted (probably by Gary Bekker) as soon as possible.

Federations represented are as follows:

Australia
New Zealand
England
Hungary
Bosnia Herzegovina
Sri Lanka

and hopefully the Philipines - depending on the visa situation...
:thumbsup:

gbekker
30-10-2009, 07:18 PM
2009 Melbourne Cup - Round 1 Pairings

No Name Loc Total Result Name Loc Total

1 Rikalo, Milenko 1719 [0] : Goldenberg, Igor 2353 [0]
2 West, Guy 2310 [0] : Yu, Sally 1716 [0]
3 Smirnov, Anton 1668 [0] : Teichmann, Erik 2294 [0]
4 Rujevic, Mirko 2245 [0] : McCart, Roger 1592 [0]
5 Kaplan, Alex 1554 [0] : Schon, Eugene 2171 [0]
6 Cheng, Bobby 2163 [0] : Feng, Thomas 1542 [0]
7 Tan, Kai 1526 [0] : Morris, James 2160 [0]
8 Hacche, David J 2061 [0] : McCook, Jake 1495 [0]
9 Lekkas, Frank 1375 [0] : Kolak, Chris 2021 [0]
10 Seah, Eddy 1992 [0] : Renzies, Elliott 1353 [0]
11 Knox, Alec 1293 [0] : Tan, Justin 1990 [0]
12 Dowden, Tony 1980 [0] : Watson, Jean 1286 [0]
13 Loh, Zachary 1250 [0] : Stojic, Svetozar 1967 [0]
14 Urban, Sylvester 1952 [0] : Tuncer, Deniz 1239 [0]
15 McKenzie, Mark 1188 [0] : Dilla, Edsil 1915 [0]
16 Dizdarevic, Mehmedalija 1898 [0] : Tanner, Michael 1070 [0]
17 Webb-Liddle, Miranda 1041 [0] : Flitney, Adrian 1870 [0]
18 Voon, Richard 1858 [0] : Karumbi, Simon 1028 [0]
19 Fan, Enoch 850 [0] : Lester, George E 1857 [0]
20 Beaumont, David 1854 [0] : Xue, Ollie 746 [0]
21 Gumage, Thamala [0] : Davis, Tony J 1804 [0]
22 Selnes, Hamish 1748 [0] : Rayson-Hill, Tristan [0]
23 Warren, Elizabeth [0] : Tionko, Efrain 1731 [0]
24 Chmiel, Rad 1724 [0] : Wijesuriya, Vineetha [0]
25 Addamo, Michael 1144 [0] .5:0 BYE
26 Gibson, Kyle 1107 [0] .5:0 BYE
</pre>

Garvinator
30-10-2009, 07:27 PM
Just sent you a pm Gary B

Mischa
30-10-2009, 11:12 PM
James won fist round
I am told Eugene drew
Possible draw board one....(I am sure Igor will prevail)

Grant Szuveges
30-10-2009, 11:13 PM
Top seed Igor Goldenberg was held to a draw by Milenko Rikalo. Goldenberg had a dominating position but blundered a rook but fought hard to eventually hold a draw. More news in the morning.

Mischa
30-10-2009, 11:15 PM
thanks Grant...go sleep :)

ER
31-10-2009, 01:09 AM
OK some highlights from last night's first round!
I start with Eclectic! He is fine, he is fit, he looks younger than when I saw him last time! Sharp, witty and a great communicator of his ideas and thoughts! World back to normal! :)
I met Tony Dowden and introduced properly for first time! A great personality with huge amount of experience and stories to tell about NZ and Tassie Chess.
MCC, BHCC and interstate juniors out in force! They had lots of time to socialise too, great to see the kids enjoying themselves!
Guess who forfeited http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Animals/horse-sabre-03.gif riding to come and play in the tournament! :P
Listen to JaK when he predicts No of entries! I predicted 50+, 50+ it is!
Very friendly atmosphere, very efficient direction, very good chess!
First time in history I witnessed Chris Kolak playing slow chess! "First time in my life I 've seen him play the French Defence" added Grant. A very ineresting encounter vs Frank's 1.e4, with the older player emerging with the point!
More tomorrow, I must hit the sack!

Garrett
31-10-2009, 08:37 AM
Yes I had a fun first day too.

I was impressed with the Melbourne Chess Club, heaps of history there and it looked clean and well organised.

Nice to meet Grant, Tony D, and JaK for the first time and catch up with other ChessChatters I'd met before.

I had a tough first game against an 8 year old rated 850. He told me after the game he'd only been playing a little over a year and I hope he has a bright future.

[White "Enoch Fan"]
[Black "Garrett"]

1. e4 c5 2. c3 Nf6 3. e5 Nd5 4. d4 cxd4 5. cxd4 Nc6 6. Nc3 Nxc3 7. bxc3 d6 8.
exd6 Qxd6 (8... e6 {maybe this was best in this position...}) 9. Nf3 Bg4 (9...
g6 {was played the most by good players in this position.} 10. d5 Ne5 11. Bb5+
Bd7 {but it is not really good.}) 10. Bc4 e6 11. h3 Bh5 12. Rb1 b6 {I have no excuse for this move, it's a clanger} 13. Bb5 Be7
14. Ba3 Qc7 (14... Qd5 15. Bxe7 Kxe7 16. Be2 {was probably the best.}) 15. d5
Bxf3 (15... O-O-O 16. Bxc6 Bxa3 {was another tactical sequence I missed.}) 16.
Qxf3 exd5 17. Qxd5 O-O 18. Bxc6 Rad8 19. Qf3 Qe5+ 20. Be4 Bxa3 21. O-O Rc8 22.
Rb3 Bd6 23. g3 Rc4 24. Re1 Kh8 25. Qd3 Rfc8 26. Re3 Qf6 27. Bb7 R4c7 28. Bxc8
Rxc8 29. Qe2 g6 30. Qf3 Qxf3 31. Rxf3 Kg7 32. Rd3 Bc5 33. Rd7 a5 34. Kg2 Re8
35. Rb2 Re1 36. Rc2 h5 37. Rdd2 Re4 38. Kf3 Re7 39. Re2 Rd7 40. Rcd2 Rc7 41.
Ke4 Kf6 42. Kd3 Ba3 43. Kc2 Bb4 44. Rd3 Bc5 45. Re4 Kg7 46. f3 Kf6 47. Kb3 Kg5
48. Rd5+ Kf6 49. g4 hxg4 50. hxg4 Bf8 51. Rc4 Bc5 52. Rdxc5 bxc5 53. Ra4 Ke5
54. Rxa5 Kf4 55. Rb5 Kxf3 56. g5 Kf4 57. a4 Kxg5 58. a5 f5 59. a6 f4 60. Ra5
Ra7 61. Kc4 Kg4 62. Kxc5 f3 63. Kb6 f2 64. Ra1 Rxa6+ 65. Kxa6 Kf3 66. c4 g5 67.
c5 g4 68. c6 g3 69. c7 g2 70. c8=Q f1=Q+ 71. Rxf1+ gxf1=Q+ 1/2-1/2

ER
31-10-2009, 08:41 AM
Good morning Garrett, I hope we 'll have a chance for a bit of a chat today! Glad you liked your first MCC experience!

gbekker
31-10-2009, 08:41 AM
2009 Melbourne Cup - Round 1 Results

No Name Loc Total Result Name Loc Total

1 Rikalo, Milenko 1719 [0] .5:.5 Goldenberg, Igor 2353 [0]
2 West, Guy 2310 [0] 1:0 Yu, Sally 1716 [0]
3 Smirnov, Anton 1668 [0] 0:1 Teichmann, Erik 2294 [0]
4 Rujevic, Mirko 2245 [0] 1:0 McCart, Roger 1592 [0]
5 Kaplan, Alex 1554 [0] .5:.5 Schon, Eugene 2171 [0]
6 Cheng, Bobby 2163 [0] 1:0 Feng, Thomas 1542 [0]
7 Tan, Kai 1526 [0] 0:1 Morris, James 2160 [0]
8 Hacche, David J 2061 [0] 1:0 McCook, Jake 1495 [0]
9 Lekkas, Frank 1375 [0] 0:1 Kolak, Chris 2021 [0]
10 Seah, Eddy 1992 [0] 1:0 Renzies, Elliott 1353 [0]
11 Knox, Alec 1293 [0] .5:.5 Tan, Justin 1990 [0]
12 Dowden, Tony 1980 [0] 1:0 Watson, Jean 1286 [0]
13 Loh, Zachary 1250 [0] 0:1 Stojic, Svetozar 1967 [0]
14 Urban, Sylvester 1952 [0] 1:0 Tuncer, Deniz 1239 [0]
15 McKenzie, Mark 1188 [0] 0:1 Dilla, Edsil 1915 [0]
16 Dizdarevic, Mehmedalija 1898 [0] 1:0 Tanner, Michael 1070 [0]
17 Webb-Liddle, Miranda 1041 [0] 0:1 Flitney, Adrian 1870 [0]
18 Voon, Richard 1858 [0] 1:0 Karumbi, Simon 1028 [0]
19 Fan, Enoch 850 [0] .5:.5 Lester, George E 1857 [0]
20 Beaumont, David 1854 [0] 1:0 Xue, Ollie 746 [0]
21 Gumage, Thamala [0] 0:1 Davis, Tony J 1804 [0]
22 Selnes, Hamish 1748 [0] 1:0 Rayson-Hill, Tristan [0]
23 Warren, Elizabeth [0] 0:1 Tionko, Efrain 1731 [0]
24 Chmiel, Rad 1724 [0] .5:.5 Wijesuriya, Vineetha [0]
25 Addamo, Michael 1144 [0] .5:0 BYE
26 Gibson, Kyle 1107 [0] .5:0 BYE
27 Sicat, Kevin Anthony [0] .5:0 BYE
28 Lopez, Daniel Jose [0] .5:0 BYE

gbekker
31-10-2009, 09:49 AM
2009 Melbourne Cup - Revised Round 2 Pairings

No Name Rtg Loc Total Result Name Rtg Loc Total

1 Teichmann, Erik 2335 2294 [1] : Urban, Sylvester 2017 1952 [1]
2 Dilla, Edsil 2088 1915 [1] : Rujevic, Mirko 2300 2245 [1]
3 Dizdarevic, Mehmedalija 1997 1898 [1] : Cheng, Bobby 2190 2163 [1]
4 Morris, James 2194 2160 [1] : Voon, Richard 1970 1858 [1]
5 Flitney, Adrian 1979 1870 [1] : Hacche, David J 2164 2061 [1]
6 Kolak, Chris 2021 [1] : Beaumont, David 2070 1854 [1]
7 Davis, Tony J 1930 1804 [1] : Seah, Eddy 1992 [1]
8 Tionko, Efrain 1901 1731 [1] : Dowden, Tony 2145 1980 [1]
9 Stojic, Svetozar 2033 1967 [1] : Selnes, Hamish 1936 1748 [1]
10 Goldenberg, Igor 2405 2353 [.5] : Kaplan, Alex 1698 1554 [.5]
11 Schon, Eugene 2173 2171 [.5] : Addamo, Michael 1144 [.5]
12 Tan, Justin 2026 1990 [.5] : Fan, Enoch 850 [.5]
13 Lester, George E 1868 1857 [.5] : Gibson, Kyle 1572 1107 [.5]
14 Sicat, Kevin Anthony [.5] : Chmiel, Rad 1934 1724 [.5]
15 Lopez, Daniel Jose [.5] : Rikalo, Milenko 1932 1719 [.5]
16 Wijesuriya, Vineetha 1897 [.5] : Yu, Sally 1841 1716 [0]
17 Tuncer, Deniz 1239 [0] : Smirnov, Anton 1817 1668 [0]
18 McCart, Roger 1685 1592 [0] : McKenzie, Mark 1188 [0]
19 Feng, Thomas 1655 1542 [0] : Webb-Liddle, Miranda 1041 [0]
20 Tanner, Michael 1070 [0] : Tan, Kai 1526 [0]
21 McCook, Jake 1495 [0] : Gumage, Thamala [0]
22 Xue, Ollie 746 [0] : Lekkas, Frank 1375 [0]
23 Renzies, Elliott 1701 1353 [0] : Warren, Elizabeth [0]
24 Rayson-Hill, Tristan [0] : Loh, Zachary 1250 [0]
25 West, Guy 2356 2310 [1] .5:0 BYE
26 Knox, Alec 1293 [.5] .5:0 BYE
27 Watson, Jean 1569 1286 [0] .5:0 BYE
28 Karumbi, Simon 1028 [0] .5:0 BYE

Tony Dowden
31-10-2009, 10:43 AM
I feel like I'm at a convention of ChessChatters :lol:

JAK is just as amiable in real life and answers to both Elliot and 'Jack'. He told me he 'did his first round duty' by duly losing in short order.

Garrett looked very military in his khaki fatigues but his lower ranked opponent was unfazed and reeled in a half point.

Speaking of half points, Igor Goldenberg had a crushing position and must have been thinking about an early night or something because he soon blundered an entire rook in a one-mover. Incredibly he managed to draw by winning the exchange and generally grabbing loose pawns before going into a dodgy minor piece ending (still a piece down) that he eventually held.

James the RealDeal Morris, who really has had a haircut, duly won his game after some tactical adventures.

Miranda - as charming as ever - tried hard but lost a piece somehow, and although it looked like she had a bit of an attack, it didn't amount to anything.

Watto played really well against me! She was doing well early on when my 'winning' combination misfired. She probably deserved to draw but in the end my major pieces dominated and I was able to set up a mate.

In the late evening the main source of interest was whether Igor would hold the ending and watching Richard Voon and David Beaumont (hmm Firegoat?) playing endless blitz games. I hope I'm as keen on chess when I'm Richard's age!

Guy West and Jean (aka Watto) have taken a half point bye so as long as Igor wins this afternoon (lol) the IMs will be on 1.5 and the event will still be wide open :cool:

Grant Szuveges
31-10-2009, 11:40 AM
The blitz marathon in the Royal Derby Hotel (cnr Brunswick st and Alexandra Pde) has begun. The first game has started with Malcolm Pyke playing the white side of a Tarrasch against Elie Beranjia! The first coins have gone into the money box too, so lets hope that we make lots of money for the building fund....

I will be taking over at 5pm to play against Carl Gorka until 3am. What openings do you want me to play against him? Any requests that you post on this thread, I will play against Carl Gorka tonight at least once. If they are any good, I may play them more than once!

Between Cup Weekend rounds, come down to the Royal Derby (100 metres from MCC) for a great $6 gourmet pizza.

Also for meals, check out our sponsors the Gypsy Bar and the Vegie Bar - both of which make great meals at cheap prices.

Adamski
31-10-2009, 11:52 AM
The blitz marathon in the Royal Derby Hotel (cnr Brunswick st and Alexandra Pde) has begun. The first game has started with Malcolm Pyke playing the white side of a Tarrasch against Elie Beranjia! The first coins have gone into the money box too, so lets hope that we make lots of money for the building fund....

I will be taking over at 5pm to play against Carl Gorka until 3am. What openings do you want me to play against him? Any requests that you post on this thread, I will play against Carl Gorka tonight at least once. If they are any good, I may play them more than once!

In keeping with my Polish Ches Chat connection, you must play 1 b4 at least once. I have played it many times in the past...

BTW, great idea. Sounds like a very strong and successful tournament there too.:clap:

queenant89
31-10-2009, 12:02 PM
play a bit of everything.... how about some 1. h4 ... or some other kool gambits????

Grant Szuveges
31-10-2009, 12:16 PM
I will play 1. b4 and 1. h4 at least once each! And Ive got a few other gambits in my mind..... but so will Carl - he is the king of that sort of chess...

Adamski
31-10-2009, 12:17 PM
I'll make another top of mind suggestion. If he replies to your 1 d4 with a KID then you must play the Averbakh, with 5 Be2 and 6 Bg5. But watch out for traps involving him meeting your f3 with Nxe4. See Handle change request thread recent entries for in-depth discussion.
BTW the Averbakh is a good line. One former NZ champion, Graham Haase, ALWAYS played it against my KID in my youth - and he generally won. Also, I have seen Vlad (who I imagine is there with his son, as coach!) play it with success.

Basil
31-10-2009, 02:37 PM
What openings do you want me to play against him? Any requests that you post on this thread, I will play against Carl Gorka tonight at least once. If they are any good, I may play them more than once!
The Tromp! The Tromp! If it's good enough for Rogers, Smerdon, Hodgson and Vlad - it's good enough for you!

Good luck!