PDA

View Full Version : Actca Agm 2009

Denis_Jessop
31-05-2009, 09:29 PM
For those who may be interested in our little Territory, the ACTCA AGM was held last Wednesday night, 27 May.

The meeting was short and well-behaved (:rolleyes: ) .

The outgoing committee headed by President Stephen Mugford was re-elected unopposed.

The good news was that, thanks to some intensive work, the accounts for the years 2007 and 2008 were both presented to the meeting in audited form. That means that the ACTCA is back on track in that regard.

Some concern is felt about the lack of interest in the ACT Championship, this being a year in which the current champion is entitled to enter the Australian Championship. The ACT Championship will be held again at Tuggeranong CC, details to be advised later.

There is also a concern about not only the number of active players in the ACT, or, rather the lack of them, but also about the non-participation of many of the higher-rated players. This is to be one of the new committee's priority matters.

Another is to get the ACTCA's financial position on a sounder footing. A modest step was taken by the AGM by raising the membership fee from $15 ($10 conc.) to $25 ($15 conc.) pa. There are a number of debts outstanding.

I should mention that I am not an ACTCA Committee member though I am concerned for the welfare of ACT chess so this is a report from an interested bystander rather than an "official" one.

DJ

ER
01-06-2009, 03:29 PM
(...)I should mention that I am not an ACTCA Committee member though I am concerned for the welfare of ACT chess so this is a report from an interested bystander rather than an "official" one. DJ
Don't you think enough is enough with this early retirement business of yours? ok you had your break, now it's time to get back in the game and do some work!:owned: lol look at Gerryt Hartland, since he "retired" he is as busy (if not busier than) as he was before!

Denis_Jessop
01-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Don't you think enough is enough with this early retirement business of yours? ok you had your break, now it's time to get back in the game and do some work!:owned: lol look at Gerryt Hartland, since he "retired" he is as busy (if not busier than) as he was before!

Thanks JAK :D I did mention briefly to Stephen that I didn't stand mainly because of my ACF commitments which, at present, could give rise to a conflict of interest though this may prove not to be a major concern. I can also add that the present committee, though saying that they would not mind if someone else wanted to stand for the Committee, have only been in place for less than a year (because of the late holding of last year's AGM) and seem to be united in wanting to get a good job done. To the extent that your comment was light-hearted, I appreciate that but, seriously, I would like to be involved, and am a bit behind the scenes, but I think younger people need to be encouraged to do their bit and I have quite a lot to do on the ACF Council if only I could get around to it :) .

DJ

Brian_Jones
01-06-2009, 04:30 PM
and I have quite a lot to do on the ACF Council if only I could get around to it :) . DJ

Feet stuck in the pedals? :)

Denis_Jessop
01-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Feet stuck in the pedals? :)

I certainly have more enthusiasm for cycling at the moment but it is the season after all. As we know from my past postings cycling is chess on wheels. :)

DJ

ER
01-06-2009, 10:45 PM
As we know from my past postings cycling is chess on wheels. :) DJ
Only virtual resemblance since it looks like 0-0! :P
Now seriously, when I was in Canberra for Doeberl I only heard positive comments about you from adult and junior players alike!
The "conflict of interest" thingy doesn't apply to people who would't even think of exploiting their position in order to serve interests foreign to their cause - in this case promoting Chess! Gletsos and Bonham are involved in Fed and State admin!
Good to know that you are actually involved behind the scenes!
Now, an irrelevant question: Are there bicycle tracks around the whole Burley Griffin Lake or part of it?

Denis_Jessop
02-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Only virtual resemblance since it looks like 0-0! :P
Now seriously, when I was in Canberra for Doeberl I only heard positive comments about you from adult and junior players alike!
The "conflict of interest" thingy doesn't apply to people who would't even think of exploiting their position in order to serve interests foreign to their cause - in this case promoting Chess! Gletsos and Bonham are involved in Fed and State admin!
Good to know that you are actually involved behind the scenes!
Now, an irrelevant question: Are there bicycle tracks around the whole Burley Griffin Lake or part of it?

I like your comment. I use that assertion when I feel that things need brightening up. It isn't my idea. I first saw it in Dean Wood's "Manual of Cycling" (1995) when, regarding tactics in road racing, he says "A road race can be like a game of chess on wheels" (p. 141). More recently Michael Rogers was reported in the press as having said somewhat the same.

Still on cycling; yes, yhere are bike paths going all the way around Lake Burley Griffin. As you know, the lake runs from Scrivener Dam at the West to about the Jerabommbera Wet Lands (now not wet because of the drought) to the east. You can all the way (where the path actually goes to the East of the wetlands) or you can go part of the way crossing the Lake at either Commonwealth Bridge or King's Avenue Bridge. That is, there are 4 ways of getting from one side of the Lake/river to the other - Scrivener Dam, Commonwealth Bridge, King's Avenue Bridge and the far eastern end of the lake by when it is just the river. The bike paths run along the North and South foreshores of the lake. There are also loads of other Canberra Bike Paths all over the city.

Finally, I keep an eye on what is going on in Canberra chess and have been able to be of some assistance as the current President, Secretary and Treasurer have almost no background in the ACTCA and there are almost no records either. Oddly enough, I recently realised that here are very few of the same people active here who were so only a few years ago while there are quite a few new players. A frequent turn-over of players has always been a problem in Canberra chess, perhaps even worse in the 1970s, because of the transient population.

DJ

ER
02-06-2009, 06:03 PM
(...) There are also loads of other Canberra Bike Paths all over the city.(...) I noticed that and this is the reason I asked about the lake itn the first place. It immediately brought to my mind a possible annual event where riding bikes to the lake could be combined with playing chess in one of those absolutely beauriful BBQ areas there. They do that with great success in Ljubljana Slovenia!

george
04-06-2009, 12:24 AM
Hi All,

Slovenia (Bled) the place of a chess Olympiad. They certainly have a respect for chess and give it an honoured place in their culture.

Brought back memories - thx.

ER
04-06-2009, 12:50 AM
Highly civilised, educated and hospitable people with absolute respect for the environment before it became fashionable!... Walking around Bled Lake with its picturesque and amazingly beautiful castle in the middle is a great experience!

Ian Rout
04-06-2009, 09:13 AM
The lake (Canberra not Bled) is not too pleasant at the moment unfortunately, it's closed to recreational use due to blue-green algae. That probably doesn't stop people cycling around it though I imagine there may be a bit of a smell (haven't been close enough to find out). There was also a suicide off Commonwealth Ave bridge a couple of weeks ago, which I would have thought was if not impossible then at least extremely difficult.

If chess-boxing works then conceivably chess-biking could be done, however there may need to be some standardisation of the drug-testing rules.

Denis_Jessop
04-06-2009, 03:15 PM
The lake (Canberra not Bled) is not too pleasant at the moment unfortunately, it's closed to recreational use due to blue-green algae. That probably doesn't stop people cycling around it though I imagine there may be a bit of a smell (haven't been close enough to find out). There was also a suicide off Commonwealth Ave bridge a couple of weeks ago, which I would have thought was if not impossible then at least extremely difficult.

If chess-boxing works then conceivably chess-biking could be done, however there may need to be some standardisation of the drug-testing rules.

On the latter subject, several years ago Ralph Jackson (chess player and tour operator) floated an idea of running a bush tour with bushwalking in the daytime and a chess tournament at night. I don't know if one was ever organised.

DJ