PDA

View Full Version : 09 CV winter Interclub

Publicist
28-05-2009, 04:02 AM
An invitation is extended to all CV affiliated clubs to participate in the 2009 CV winter interclub competition.
on 5 Saturdays:*
July 11,July 25, August 8, August 15, August 29.
6 teams round robin competitions:* A grade, B Grade, C grade, and D grade
4 Players per team
In addition to the many and varied* existing interclub rules which are available on the CV* web site,
http://chessvictoria.netfirms.com
An additional rule which will apply to ALL GRADES
Participating clubs will be allowed one team in each grade* with second teams only allowed if there are vacancies at the close of entries.
Closing of entries: July 4
Entry fees: $50 per team.
Prizes:
Winners A grade $700, B grade $200, C grade $150, D grade $100
Venue: *3 Rochester Road Canterbury.
Starting times 1.30
Rate of play: 75 minutes + 30 seconds from move one.
Further information:
CV vice president Leonid Sandler telephone 0412 201 891
* * * * ************************ Email* lsandler2004@yahoo.com.au
Entries: by mail or email or in person to the CV treasurer:
Trevor Stanning* 23 Chester Street Surrey Hills 3127
Email: trevors@bluep.com
Telephone: 9898 7547
Cheques should be made out to Chess Victoria

MichaelBaron
28-05-2009, 11:31 AM
Saturdays.....I wonder if Noble Park will be able to field a team as Saturday is their club night. I would play for MCC but got allegro to play. Still hopefully MCC will field a team this time..and win!

ER
28-05-2009, 12:03 PM
the idea for MCC is to be represented by more than two teams and still win!

ER
28-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Having said that, I am playing for BHCC, a Club that was always there for me and I am planning not to lose either!!! :)

ER
02-06-2009, 01:42 AM
At least two people I spoke with at MCC last night strongly disapprove of the Vic Winter Interclub to be held on a series of Saturdays.
I don't think members of the Noble Park Chess CLub are very happy with the dates announced by Chess Victoria.
"All the dates they have announced clash with dates of our major tournaments!" said a well known Victoiran Chess personality. "Do they understand that this way they (CV) undermine their own events?" he added

Spiny Norman
02-06-2009, 04:13 AM
No matter which day/night its held, it will clash with something, arguably because the decision and announcement on when it will be held is being left so late. I do sympathise with Noble Park, as they have been a strong supporter of Interclub. As I commented to members of the Croydon committee a few days ago:

I'm surprised that they have gone for a weekend competition. Presumably this is so they avoid most of the clashes with club calendars. But perhaps a better approach would be to advertise the calendar for a week night but on a rotating basis:

Year 1: Monday
Year 2: Tuesday
etc

(so that the "pain" of conflict with club calendars is shared around ... AND ... they should also be selecting the dates at least a year ahead of time (i.e. they should be setting the days/dates for the 2010 Interclub now, not next year).

That way, those clubs that have a clash with their calendar that particular year (and it could only be once every 5 years for the average club that meets once a week), those clubs can work the Interclub into their calendar as a featured event.

I just don't get the CV approach to Interclub as it currently stands. It comes across as an afterthought, whereas it should be one of the premier events on the calendar.

As for my personal circumstances ... even if I were not having to carry this stupid tech support phone with me 7 days/week, I still would never play on a Saturday or Sunday ... weekend time with family is too precious.
Early feedback from other key members at Croydon indicate that Saturdays are out of bounds for them too. It will be interesting to see whether we are even able to field a team. If we are, it will be in the lower grades only. Last year (2008) we had 3 teams (A, C, D).

CV is in a difficult position, but my view is that this could be addressed by better long range planning by both CV and the clubs working in concert to ensure Interclub is given an elevated position on club calendars.

Brian_Jones
02-06-2009, 08:56 AM
this could be addressed by better long range planning by both CV and the clubs working in concert to ensure Interclub is given an elevated position on club calendars.

As ACF Grand Prix Director, I have always wondered why CV planning is so late (especially setting the venue of Vic Open).

Why not work on the CV calendar for next year (2010) now! :)

Leonid Sandler
02-06-2009, 10:53 PM
Dear Brian,
CV are working on a few projects planned for 2010 including MIO.
At the moment we are hoping that Victorian Open 2009,Victorian Junior Championships and Winter Interclub 2009 will be very exciting events.

Spiny Norman
03-06-2009, 05:47 AM
Hi Leonid! Good to hear of this forward planning. I heard whispers of it a few days ago on the grapevine. Excellent news. I'm sure such efforts, whilst in some sense having their own reward, will also result in renewed interest and support from all the clubs down here in VIC. Well done!

ER
03-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Hi Leonid! Good to hear of this forward planning. I heard whispers of it a few days ago on the grapevine. Excellent news. I'm sure such efforts, whilst in some sense having their own reward, will also result in renewed interest and support from all the clubs down here in VIC. Well done!
Ditto!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

ER
07-07-2009, 10:33 AM
If this is true...

It has been reported that the Winter interclub competition may not proceed due to lack of interest by the clubs!

What happens now to the arrangements I have made with my employer for days off in the originally announced dates?
Mind you Sat afternoon is paid double time and if rostering hours extent to later than 6 pm (which is my case) it goes to double time and a half!

MichaelBaron
07-07-2009, 11:02 AM
If this is true...

What happens now to the arrangements I have made with my employer for days off in the originally announced dates?
Mind you Sat afternoon is paid double time and if rostering hours extent to later than 6 pm (which is my case) it goes to double time and a half!

JAK if there is no interclub - come and play allegro and blitz at MCC and make sure you bring all your Interclub teammates with you.

I do not know if its true or not...but someone told me yesterday that only 2 clubs expressed interest in playing interclub: Box Hill and Geelong. The source is not very reliable though...

ER
07-07-2009, 12:36 PM
JAK if there is no interclub - come and play allegro and blitz at MCC and make sure you bring all your Interclub teammates with you.
Actually, this sounds like a very good idea, to have a friendly allegro interclub!

I do not know if its true or not...but someone told me yesterday that only 2 clubs expressed interest in playing interclub: Box Hill and Geelong. The source is not very reliable though...
A very reliable source (Domagoj himself) told me that Noble Park will NOT participate in the Interclub!
I wonder if there is time to change the Saturday schedule! Obviously, the Clubs rejected the Saturday as a day to play interclub!

Davidflude
07-07-2009, 01:04 PM
this is a copy of a posting on the other forum.

This note is on behalf of the CV Executive, in regard to the 2009 Winter Interclub event.

Geelong Chess Club was the only Club to submit a team by the deadline for entries, and while this shows Geelong CC is well-organised, it does also show that many others are tardy or not interested in this event.
Leonid Sandler has been in telephone contact with most Clubs and it is clear that entries could be contemplated from one other Club.
Two teams in one grade is insufficient to continue with the event, so it has been decided by the Executive to cancel the event.

For 2010, the Executive will have to re-consider this event. Already there is an interesting proposal on the table from the Melbourne Chess Club that holds some promise for an alternate event next year. The proposal has been freely circulated by the MCC; let me know (by PM here) if you have not seen a copy.

Davidflude
07-07-2009, 01:05 PM
On behalf of the Box Hill Chess Club I wish to thank all members who entered in our teams.

David Flude

SHump
07-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Ranges club also declined, primarily based on the Saturday schedule. However we did suggest one possibility - break it into 'conferences', based on some sort of geographic split. Obviously Geelong would not play Ranges in the same conference :) , but if they won their conference, then they might!

It may all be well and good for the MCC to participate or plan another event, but IMHO you have to consider travel times in any arrangement - if 3-4 clubs are nearby then why not form a group to get a winner? If it is just held at the MCC, then not all clubs are close to there and it still may not be well supported.

On the other side of the coin, if Ranges club, for instance, were to run a large event (eg the Vic Open), how many people would want to travel to say Upwey for it - sure it is on a train line and has shops etc nearby (assuming the venue is suitable, etc), but still, I am sure not everyone even knows where Upwey is?!? Anyway, food for someone's thought..

Carl Gorka
07-07-2009, 04:32 PM
For 2010, the Executive will have to re-consider this event. Already there is an interesting proposal on the table from the Melbourne Chess Club that holds some promise for an alternate event next year. The proposal has been freely circulated by the MCC; let me know (by PM here) if you have not seen a copy.

There is no proposal from the MCC, it was privately thought out by me (Carl Gorka), and has been presented to the MCC committee as it has all other contacts that I could find.:)

Carl Gorka
07-07-2009, 04:35 PM
It may all be well and good for the MCC to participate or plan another event, but IMHO you have to consider travel times in any arrangement - if 3-4 clubs are nearby then why not form a group to get a winner? If it is just held at the MCC, then not all clubs are close to there and it still may not be well supported.

I sent the proposal to Ranges Club, but only to the contacts I could find, Paul Bearup and Marieke I think.

If you want a copy, then PM me your email and i'll send one through to you:)

All feedback regarding this event is good, and will be taken into account.