PDA

View Full Version : Greg Hjorth is back!!! Greatest Comebacks in Aus Chess!

ER
21-04-2009, 12:03 AM
As it has been reported in another thread, IM Greg Hjorth joined Melbourne Chess Club earlier today!
Can his decision to play competitive chess again be described as one of the greatest comebacks in the History of Chess in Australia?
Do we have other instances where a champion Australian player (s) had been away from the sport for a long time and made a comeback?
Do you think that IM Hjorth, after so many years of non competitive Chess, will be able to perform successfully on high level?

Rincewind
21-04-2009, 08:45 AM
Can his decision to play competitive chess again be described as one of the greatest comebacks in the History of Chess in Australia?

His return to Australian chess has probably something to do with his return to Australia.

Do we have other instances where a champion Australian player (s) had been away from the sport for a long time and made a comeback?

Don't know. Walter Browne left Australia in the early 50's and then returned in the late 60s, and won the Australia Championship, 1969. Mind you he did play competitive chess in America, winning the US Juniors in 1966.

Do you think that IM Hjorth, after so many years of non competitive Chess, will be able to perform successfully on high level?

Has Greg played no competitive chess while in America? He may not have I just don't know. However he lack of activity in the Australian chess scene isn't anything to go on and the American chess scene is so large and not widely followed in Australia that he may be active there but not visible here.

I just hope he enjoys the move, however chess factors in to that.

Davidflude
21-04-2009, 09:15 AM
Greg has well and truly returned. He is a dinki di Professor. His web page is all about mathematics.

I have checked out my databases. The most recent event that I can find that Greg played in is The US Open in 1995.

It is great to have him back.

I hope that Greg plays the Victorian Open.

ER
21-04-2009, 11:43 AM
His return to Australian chess has probably something to do with his return to Australia.
Of what I know he has been here for about two years now, professionally occupied at the Mathematics Faculty of the University of Melbourne. I have to double check on that though!

I just hope he enjoys the move, however chess factors in to that.
Ditto!

Greg has well and truly returned. He is a dinki di Professor. His web page is all about mathematics.
Can you provide link please David?

I have checked out my databases. The most recent event that I can find that Greg played in is The US Open in 1995.
Then it really is a comeback! Do we know of any other similar cases of strong Australian players?

It is great to have him back.
Indeed!

I hope that Greg plays the Victorian Open.
Yes, as well as in other major events!

Bill Gletsos
21-04-2009, 11:55 AM
I have checked out my databases. The most recent event that I can find that Greg played in is The US Open in 1995.He apparently last played in a US event that was FIDE rated in July 2005.

ER
21-04-2009, 12:01 PM
Careful David, the Force is 10 years ahead here! :lol:

Bill Gletsos
21-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Greg's current FIDE rating is 2378.

Prior to 2005 he played in 7 events in the US between 1998 and 2000. Greg had a USCF rating in 2000 of 2516 and his current USCF rating is 2493.

Greg was last active in Australia in 1993.
His current ACF rating is 2423.

Ian Murray
21-04-2009, 08:20 PM
Greg's current FIDE rating is 2378.

Prior to 2005 he played in 7 events in the US between 1998 and 2000. Greg had a USCF rating in 2000 of 2516 and his current USCF rating is 2493.

Greg was last active in Australia in 1993.
His current ACF rating is 2423.
He was playing in the 2000 National Open in Las Vegas while I was there