PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne Chess Club U-1500 - Ideas?

ER
18-04-2009, 12:10 AM
This, I believe, was intended as a letter to the members of the Melbourne Chess Club by the President Grant Szuveges. However, I, also believe that ideas and initiatives like the following should be publicised, not only for chessplayers to express their ideas and preferences but for other clubs to follow or exercise similar moves of their own as well. Here we go:

I am thinking of organising a tournament at the MCC on Tuesday nights for players rated under 1500.

The tournament would be a five round tournament with one round per week for 5 weeks.

The games would probably be 1 hour + 10 seconds per move.

Im writing to see what the level of interest in this tournament would be.

The under 1500 night (Tuesdays) is doing ok, but we need to get some more regular events on that evening.

I have got some ideas for prize money too.

Please tell me what you think of the following and whether or not you would be interested in playing in this type of event......

1. Prizes for 1st, 2nd, 3rd and maybe 4th, 5th and 6th and best 2 juniors.

2. Prizes could be cash and coaching.

3. Players all receive a $10 bookshop voucher for every point they score, eg. if the player scores 2.5, they get a $25 book voucher.

4. Tournament could possibly be sponsored by one of our sponsors

5. Free entry to MCC members, $20 or $30 entry to non-members (to encourage membership)

I am open to any suggestions regarding this tournament, which we would like to run in May or June. What do you all think?

Grant

I hope publication of this won't get me (again) in the bad books of the President! :hmm: :eek:

BennyG
19-04-2009, 06:22 PM
I think it is a great idea and i would definitely be in:owned:

ER
19-04-2009, 11:59 PM
You are most welcome Ben, come along and have a great time with the rest of us! :)

BennyG
27-04-2009, 07:11 PM
Bump! Whats the details on this tournament:hmm:

ER
27-04-2009, 07:23 PM
Hi Ben, check details on first post of this thread!

BennyG
27-04-2009, 07:28 PM
Yeah i have May or June just wondering what their leaning to and if many people will play because i think that its a good chance to get more people down to MCC because of the U/1500 factor. I will try get some mates from Frankston to come down aswell if thats alright with MCC

ER
27-04-2009, 07:35 PM
I am sure if you look around all MCC related postings your questions will be answered! there are so many activities going on at the club at present you and your mates will be happy to join and be a part, instead of paying visitors fees if not members!
Cheers

Watto
28-04-2009, 02:19 PM
I am sure if you look around all MCC related postings your questions will be answered!
I think Ben's specific question was whether the MCC have firmed up dates for the U1500 tournament. I don't think that question has been answered anywhere yet, and this would be the thread for it.
Ben, I'm sure that someone will post that info here when they do know. :)

BennyG
28-04-2009, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the reply Watto :)

Bereaved
28-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Hello everyone,

As I understand it, the plan is for the initial under 1400 event to commence on Tuesday a week today ( Tuesday 5th May ) and to have an 8 player Round robin format. At the moment, the event has 6 entries that I am aware of, including Ben, as he has indicated that he is interested in playing. The hope is that within the format of the event that there may be a chance for after the conclusion of the round for there to be a short discussion of one of the more interesting games of the round from one of MCC's stronger players to all the participants in the event. The entry fees I am unsure of, but there is a healthy incentive for players to be members, as non members pay about $20 more to enter.

As regards the format of the prizes, I do not believe that the initial post in this thread is exactly how the prize pool will manifest, but will post more when I know for sure

If anyone was interested in playing in this event, I suggest that they contact me, on 0408 150 196 or Grant Szuveges on 0401 925 075 to register their interest.

We plan to hold other events of this type during the year, and should a vast number wish to join into this event, may run two groups of Round robins.

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

MichaelBaron
02-05-2009, 12:13 PM
I think participation numbers can be increased further by making it U1800! :hmm:

Its good to have some event for club level players only. However, 1500-1800 rated players are quite beatable (as shown by Sarah, Watto, Nick Ivanov etc. on numerous occasions :) ). Why not let them play?

Re prizes: I really like the idea of book vouchers prizes can also include: free coaching, half-year club memebership (rather than prize-money) etc.

I also like the idea of low entry fees, as far as I know, majority of lower-rated players does not play with the intention of winning prize-money so lower entry fees are going to be welcome even if they result in non-cash prizes.

Carl Gorka
02-05-2009, 07:46 PM
MESSAGE FROM THE PRESIDENT

"Hi everyone,

This tournament will be played as an 8 player round robin. I have the 8 players already, however if I can get another 6 players, we will have a 6 player round robin start up also (perhaps the next week). After games finish, we will be analysing at least some (hopefully all) of the games on the demonstration board - so it is effectively some free coaching. If you are interested in playing in the 6 player event, please contact me asap on 0401-925-075. The entry fee is $20 for non-members and free for MCC members. Hope to see you there this coming Tuesday night...

Grant"

Watto
04-05-2009, 04:13 PM
I think participation numbers can be increased further by making it U1800! :hmm:

Its good to have some event for club level players only. However, 1500-1800 rated players are quite beatable (as shown by Sarah, Watto, Nick Ivanov etc. on numerous occasions :) ). Why not let them play?

Re prizes: I really like the idea of book vouchers prizes can also include: free coaching, half-year club memebership (rather than prize-money) etc.

I also like the idea of low entry fees, as far as I know, majority of lower-rated players does not play with the intention of winning prize-money so lower entry fees are going to be welcome even if they result in non-cash prizes.
It might. My feeling though is that it’s good thinking to establish this tournament as something quite different for the club. The MCC already holds an U2000 tournament which is hardly different to my mind to an U1800. Most social players or newcomers to club chess wouldn’t find 1700ers all that much easier than 2000ers, or IMs for that matter (Guy and I once played a social player in a café – we both demolished her and she would have had little idea of the difference in quality of our play; a notion which I found rather pleasant I must admit… ! ;))

The U1400 will be held on a Tuesday night which is also the new night set aside for novices and lower-rated members and newcomers. It’s a tournament which caters purely for these players and includes after-game commentary which I think is great given that the MCC is trying to support and build up the pool of players in this range. I won’t be playing in this one but if I was playing in this, as a 1300er I’d be attracted to the idea that I might finally win a prize at the MCC! If 1700ers enter, at my current strength, I’m unlikely to win a prize even if I manage to match or knock off the occasional higher rated player.

I agree with you that having low entry fees is an excellent idea. Also I really like the idea of book vouchers and coaching for prizes.

Perhaps the first one of the year could be U1400, the next U1500 and the final one for the year U1600. But who knows what’s best... I think the U1400 is a sensible beginning. Look forward to hearing how this first one goes. :)

Garvinator
04-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Instead of increasing the rating cutoff, why not have two divisions where no player under 1500 (in this case) can play in the higher division? I say this if the concern is about attracting more numbers to the night.

Carl Gorka
07-05-2009, 06:27 PM
"MESSAGE FROM THE PRESIDENT

The novices tournament has begun with 8 players playing in a round robin tournament. Since there are some postponed games, players whose opponent isnt around on the night can play 'challenge games' under tournament conditions which will not count toward the players final score in the event. After the games finish, we analyse some of them on the demonstration board. This round we had a look at Ben's win and Elizabeths win. More players are welcome to turn up and play challenge games or simply play blitz to keep enhancing our Tuesday night 'novices night'. If I hear from 5 more players interested in playing, I can start up another 6 player round robin to coincide with the 8 player tournament which is already running...... So if you are interested in playing, please call me on 0401-925-075

ROUND 1 results:

Tristan RAYSON-HILL postponed Phillip GAO

Elizabeth WARREN 1-0 Riley LENARD

Warren GIBSON 1-0 Marcus MAILER

Wilfrado JOSE 0-1 Ben GAVINE

CHALLENGE GAMES:

Tristan RAYSON-HILL 1-0 Alex KNOX

NEXT WEEKS GAMES:

Phillip GAO vs Ben GAVINE

Riley LENARD vs Wilfrado JOSE

Marcus MAILER vs Elizabeth WARREN

Tristan RAYSON-Hill vs Warren GIBSON (postponed)

See you all on Tuesday night, Grant"

BennyG
13-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Results From Round 2

Phillip GAO 0-1 Ben GAVINE

Riley LENARD 1-0 Wilfrado JOSE

Marcus MAILER 0-1 Elizabeth WARREN

Tristan RAYSON-Hill vs Warren GIBSON (postponed)

It was a good night last night. Riley won against Wilfrado in a Slav where Wilfredo was losing a pawn but decided to give up a rook for an attack that didn't really go anywhere. Marcus lost his queen in the early middlegame so well down to Elizabeth. Phillip played a Ruy Lopez against myself and he lost a few pawns during the middlegame. Also a big thanks to Grant for analyzing the games cya next week :P

Carl Gorka
20-05-2009, 03:40 PM
MESSAGE FROM THE PRESIDENT:

"Hi everyone. Round 3 of the tournament was played last night. Only two games from round 3 were played, but Elizabeth and Philip played their round 5 game early. Here are the results...

Ben GAVINE .5-.5 Riley LENARD
Wilfrado JOSE 1-0 Marcus MAILER
Elizabeth WARREN 0-1 Philip GAO (round 5 game)
Tristan RAYSON-HILL - Elizabeth WARREN (postponed)
Warren GIBSON - Philip GAO (postponed)

CHALLENGE MATCHES:

Darren SEILER 0-1 Alex KNOX
Alister HENRY 1-0 Darren SEILER

SCORES SO FAR:

2.5/3 Ben GAVINE
2/3 Elizabeth WARREN
1.5/3 Riley LENARD
1/3 Wilfrado JOSE
0/3 Marcus MAILER
1/2 Philip GAO
1/1 Warren GIBSON
0/0 Tristan RAYSON-HILL

challenge matches:
2/3 Alex KNOX
1/3 Darren SEILER
1/2 Alister HENRY
1/1 Tristan RAYSON-HILL
0/1 James MACAULAY

See you all next Tuesday night for round 4 and more challenge matches..."

BennyG
02-06-2009, 11:43 PM
Tonights Results

Ben GAVINE 1-0 Elizabeth WARREN
Riley LENARD .5-.5 Marcus MAILER
Jose WILFREDO 0-1 Warren GIBSON (99%) sure
Tristan RAYSON-HILL - Philip GAO (postponed)

Not sure on the standings though :wall:

Congratulations to Marcus for his first result of the tournament and Warren for beating Wilfredo as black! Meanwhile Phil and new member Frank were playing in a blitz comp run by Grant :clap:. Good to see things happening around the place kudos Grant. Cya next week :D

BennyG
10-06-2009, 01:37 AM
Tonights Results

Tristan RAYSON-HILL .5-.5 Riley LENARD
Elizabeth WARREN 1-0 Jose Wilfredo
Warren GIBSON .5-.5 Ben GAVINE
Marcus Mailer - Phillip Gao (Postponed)

Challange Match

Frank - Darren 1-0

Riley saced an exchange for little if any compensation in a Kings Indian with white playing a very early d5 but managed to get his queenside pawns rolling in a bishop + R v 2 R and was in a winning position but on the back of some good play by Tristan everything came off the board and it was a draw. Wilfredo was struggling in his Slav defense. Elizabeth had an early lead in development and used it to advantage via a kingside attack which left Wilfredo in tatters. Half of his pieces didn't get off the runway so to speak. I played Warren in a Giuoco Piano whom played well i was a pawn up most of the game and managed to stuff it up and scramble a draw :wall:. Well played to Warren also :clap: In the challenge match newcomer Frank demolished his opponent by gaining a huge material advantage early and went on to win.

Thanks to Grant whom analyzed Riley v Tristans game i learnt alot about the plans of both sides in a kings indian and Benoni excellent as always :clap:. I think i need to come to an endgame session Grant i know you will agree:owned:

Standings (That i can remember off the top of my head most likely inaccurate)

Elizabeth Warren 5/7
Ben Gavine 5/6
Riley Lenard 3.5/6
Jose Wilfredo 2/6
Phillip Gao 2/5
Tristan Rayson Hill 1.5/3
Marcus Mailer .5/4

Grant Szuveges
16-06-2009, 10:48 PM
The Under 1500 tournament is heading to an end. Two players have finished all their games, but some have a few games outstanding. Here are the results as they are now...

5/7 Elizabeth WARREN
5/6 Ben GAVINE
3.5/6 Riley LENARD
2.5/4 Warren GIBSON
2/6 Wilfrado JOSE
2/5 Philip GAO
1.5/3 Tristan RAYSON-HILL
.5/7 Marcus MAILER

Elizabeth, Ben, Warren and Tristan are all still in the hunt! A four way tie between them all is also possible...

Grant Szuveges
07-07-2009, 12:50 AM
The event is almost finished now. We are just waiting on a few more games to conclude, 2 of which will be played tonight (Tuesday). Over the past two weeks, we have been running fixed opening 10 minute per player games (a cross between blitz and allegro). In the first week we played Ruy Lopez, Queens Gambit, Sicilian, Kings Indian and English. Last week we played French, Nimzo Indian and Caro Kann.

Tonight Ive got something new though. I want to see whether people play better with bishops or knights. So we will play 10 minutes per player with kings, all pawns and both white bishops versus both black knights....

So if you come along to novices evening, when you have the bishops, open it up - but if you have the knights, lock the position up... See you there....

Grant Szuveges
07-07-2009, 10:28 PM
Warren Gibson is the winner of the MCC under 1500 tournament. Warren has won the event with 5.5/7 after defeating Philip Gao in his final game tonight. Elizabeth Warren and Ben Gavine came equal second with 5 points.

5.5 Warren GIBSON
5 Elizabeth WARREN
5 Ben GAVINE
3.5 Riley LENARD
2.5 Philip GAO
.5 Marcus MAILER

3/6 Tristan RAYSON - HILL
2/6 Wilfrado JOSE

Only one game still unfinished.

Tonight the bishops had a 16.5 - 13.5 win against the knights in an all play all, 6 player round robin. All players had 10 minutes on the clock except for me, who played with 3 minutes.

9/10 THE PRESIDENT (3 MINUTES)
6.5 Frank LEKKAS
6 James MACAULAY
6 Elliot RENZIES
2 Elizabeth WARREN
.5 Darren SEILER

I got stalemated in both of my first two games - has this ever happened in the history of chess?

Next week we will play a Traxler Gambit position...

ER
10-07-2009, 12:46 PM
I edited the name of the opening after Kevin's correction note! (and thanks)!

I just take this opportunity to tell you all chessplayers (members and non members of the MCC) of the lower rating categories to take advantage of one of the most interesting chess ventures ever existed in a Chess Club! (at least the ones I know of)!
That is to either play chess games with your peers in an enjoyable, pressure free environment, participating in a very interesting tournament
or to take part in the theme tournament, as Grant said above next Tuesday we 'll have the Traxler Gambit opening!
It's fun!
I know the Traxler (or I think I do since I lost to a junior at BHCC with it :P - now it has become one of my most feared anti - junior wheapons) so come down next Tuesday, become members of the club, or play with the visitor's fee, I am sure Grant will arrange something for you!
The whole program is a unique play and learn experience! Last week I learned so much about Two Bishops vs Two Nights tricks, that I never knew throughout my whole life!
So don't miss this opportunity! Come down MCC way!

Kevin Bonham
10-07-2009, 10:09 PM
It's Traxler not Traxter. Also (and perhaps more commonly) known as the Wilkes-Barre. 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Nf6 4.Ng5 Bc5 5.Bxf7+. Wonderful opening for sharpening your tactics and lots of fun to analyse.

ER
10-07-2009, 11:40 PM
It's Traxler not Traxter. Also (and perhaps more commonly) known as the Wilkes-Barre. 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Nf6 4.Ng5 Bc5 5.Bxf7+. Wonderful opening for sharpening your tactics and lots of fun to analyse.
Thanks Kevin for both the correction and the extra info... Don't give additional extra info away though, cauz I want to catch those ambitious upstarts unaware next Tues night! :)

ER
24-07-2009, 01:41 AM
Hey Guys what's going on here? No news about the Tuesday evening events???? I heard somewhere there was a "play against and with the Isolated Pawn" night last Tuesday. Details please!!!

Bill Gletsos
20-08-2009, 12:38 AM
This event has not yet been submitted to the CV Ratings Officer.
Can it please be submitted as soon as possible.